Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Peeps,

i gotta red light on my dash its the second from bottom on the left hand side it looks like a water tank, but i dont know what it means i thought it was something to do with the water levels, but all are to the correct levels...maybe a faulty sensor ?

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I believe that is your low windshield fluid light. If the level is correct in your windshield washer tank then more then likely the sensor is bad. Not a uncommon issue. I had it once on my 06 escape. They replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You were right the 1st time...on the 01 Escape that's the Low Coolant light:

Low coolant This lamp will illuminate when the
engine coolant inside the reservoir is
low. This lamp will illuminate when
the ignition is first turned to the
RUN position, but then should turn off. If the lamp stays on, you should
check the coolant level inside the reservoir.

If your coolant levels are ok, then the sensor is probably faulty. No big deal...not expensive and easy to change.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Some early Escapes (01-02 like mine and yours) had improperly marked coolant reserviors. It's very possible that all you need to do is add a little more coolant. I've had this issue pop up twice. I just added a little distilled water and the light went away...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RobtRoma said:
Some early Escapes (01-02 like mine and yours) had improperly marked coolant reserviors. It's very possible that all you need to do is add a little more coolant. I've had this issue pop up twice. I just added a little distilled water and the light went away...
so i found out its the engine coolant however like you say they are improperly marked...where should it be up to ? or where can i get a new sensor ?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I think all I had to do is add between 1/4" and 1/2" to the reservoir. It wasn't a lot. Last time I had to do this was about 5 years ago so I can't tell you exactly how much to add...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just make sure it's a 50/50 mixture. This way, you don't screw up what's already in there. And once you get the correct level, mark the outside of the tank with a Sharpie. Coolant level should be measured when cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts