Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you may remember my previous install of HID which was easily accomplished and was (mostly) successful. I read around and there is word of "pulsed power" going to the lights as opposed to pure 12v. As long as I ignite the bulbs before the car starts it works fine (except for when I was driving 70 mph with a -26 standing temp which i assume was outside it's specified operating temperatures) Can anyone provide me with where the "lights on" wire might be before it enters into the smart junction box? I'm hoping to tap into that and send that to the relay as the signal...

To make a long story short, I bypassed everything with a relay using the signal coming from the factory wiring, and the relay turned ONOFFONOFFONOFFONOFF, which didn't change the operation of the lights but verified the fact that it is indeed pulsed power.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That's exactly why I haven't put HIDs in my Edge yet. The Edge's SJB also pulses the low beam outputs.

If you're going to try this, make sure that you add two 1N4004 diodes. You don't want a high-voltage spike from the relay coil going into the Smart Juntion box. I don't need to tell you that anything you do involving any connections to the Smart Junction Box must be done solidly and reliably. A short to any part of this wiring could destroy the SJB. That would be bad.

Also, don't use any 12V relay with a high-current coil. The turn signal switch wasn't designed to take a lot of current. If the relay coil draws more than around 500mA, find another relay.

The RED with YELLOW STRIPE wire in the harness leading to the turn signal lever/headlamp switch is the one you want. See the factory diagram below. If you have automatic headlamps, this circuit won't light the low-beams when it's set to Automatic. The low-beams (HIDs) will light only when you turn the headlamps on manually, but they will still light with the high beams.

This is for 2005-2007 North American Escapes, Mariners, and Tributes only.

Here's how I'd wire it, to protect the SJB from inductive spikes. Make absolutely sure that the diodes are oriented as shown:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... dlamps.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks to be too risky for me after all, I just don't want to jeopardize the control box...
:lightning:

I found this - PAC TR-7 http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Trigger Modules (bottom) which should resolve my issue on the cheap in-line AFTER the SJB. This little box does EVERYTHING that you could want in terms of a customizable relay. I've got two on the way, one for spare.

·
Registered
679 Posts
and if u have a bi-xenon bulb insteal of a low beam would'nt the drl still be on? I just ordered a kit with dual bulbs and special anti flicking harness so my drl will still work and high beams.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i cant comprehend how people are having so many issues with their HID kits. when i installed my 30Ks i had no problems with them. the only vehicles my installers have every encountered problems with is Mercedes and Audi. the only reason they have a problem is because typical HID kits are only using 35w and those vehicles sense the voltage drop and send a "light out" signal to the computer and a light pops on the dash. we install a special in-line capacitor that stabalizes the input to the ballast. if its installed properly with a good relay/heavy wire harness, you should have no problem. installing an HID kit with just bulbs and ballasts is just asking for problems.

now, if your kit didnt come with this -- i'd get my money back. i wouldnt buy a kit without that harness.

so keep in mind, if you paid 80-150 for your hid kit, you get what you pay for. Oracle kits are normally 279.95. a lot of times they run specials, and i've said it before i could set something up if enough people wanted to do it, i could get a group buy discount. you get a quality product and a lifetime warranty on all parts and you get to talk to Dan the warranty/tech guy... who if i may say so is awesome at what he does. they're a company based out of new orleans near me, i frequent their shop. i'm always checking out and testing new products for them and constantly getting updates from them.

its just my $.02

·
Registered
679 Posts
My harness has the capacitor hidden inside. I have purchased the bixenon so i get to keep the high beam as well. 200$

·
Registered
679 Posts
Works like a charm and the whole street is lit up!!! :thumb: :D :clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts