Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got OpenBSD working on my old laptop - 120 MHz Pentium and 32 MB RAM.

Now I'm looking for some programs that will work with such old hardware. I tried Dillo for browsing, but EC doesn't show up properly (probably because of no support for CSS). Firefox refuses to even start; Konqueror, Epiphany, and Galeon take ten minutes just to load a page.

I'm also looking for lightweight word processors and a Windows Messenger client. aMSN seems to want more memory than I can give.

I'm mainly looking for graphical programs. The text-based browsers and Messenger clients work well...but I thought my DOS days were way behind me. :rant:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
I love it when you talk technical.

Sorry, can't be of help!! :(

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Let the platform flame wars begin.

:lol:

Yup, CSS support is becoming very important.

One of the sites I just finished for a client is entirely CSS (no HTML tables, all DIVs). I verify all of my programming with the CSS and HTML validation pages at http://www.w3.org/. I still have a little cleanup to do with this site, but it's pretty good at the moment.

I keep meaning to put Windows 98SE on a partition here so that I can test the ancient versions of Netscape and IE 3.02, which people still use (according to the access logs). I just haven't had the time lately...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
PS...instead of lightweight aps, how about heavyweight hardware?

You can put together a dual-core AMD system on a microATX Asus board with built-in HDMI and DVI video, HD sound, 4GB of memory (mostly addressable), and a DVD burner, all for around $300.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You can try Maxthon as a browser. It's supposed to use less memory than firefox, but I've only noticed it when you have a ton of tabs open.

P.S. I love Firefox3

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I like everything about Firefox 3 with the exception of the "Smart Bar". I'd rather have the history bar back. I also see that in just about every forum that talks about it.

Now that 3 has been updated (I'm on the current 3.0.5), Flash works fine with it too, but the first versions of Firefox 3 and existing versions of Flash didn't like each other. You had to install a beta version of Flash to get it to work, then some Flash sites ended up not working.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have heavyweight hardware that was bleeding-edge last January; that's what I'm using right now.

I just have an old laptop that I tinker around with for browsing, word processing, and messaging.

I'll try Maxthon, thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OpenBSD seems a lot more...fragile than NT did. I had it hang on me while uninstalling a package, and now it freezes on boot-up during the disk check. :cuss: :wall:

At least it installs much faster than Windows did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts