Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when i was working out i saw that my maximum heart rate was 200 BPM :shock:
and my average heart rate was 183 BPM...
is this alright or should i go to the doctor... im kind of scared of going to work out again...

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
It certainly sounds high and is pushing what the max rate should be for someone your age. Here are some websites that help calculate what your target rates should be:

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/lib ... ty/thr.htm

http://health.discovery.com/centers/art ... center=p10

Per these sites and as a rule of thumb, your maximum heart rate should be 220-your age. This is max heart rate and not the max rate during training. They also give you formulas for your target training heart rate. If you surpass these rates, you should tone down your workout. Again, these are rules of thumb. It would probably be best to make an appointment with your Dr. for a physical and discuss your workouts and the heart rate with him/her...

Also, what were you using to measure? The meter on my treadmill is all sorts of inaccurate so you might want to check that. Medications and caffeine can cause jumps in heart rate as well. If I have a full strength coffee, my heart will pound in my chest. If you have concerns about things like this, it's always better to be safe than sorry and see a Doctor...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thats what the treadmill read out to me...
but i always run, play sports outside, and with the heat here too...
and at that time i was not running at full stride...
i did not fell light headed or about to past out...
just really shocked when i actually notice the numbers...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
My guess, it's the machine. I used to believe them, but they are inaccurate on a good day.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
My treadmill will read 185 one minute and 65 the next. I have a pretty decent Nordic-track TM too (not some cheapo) but I just don't trust the Heart rate meter. I'm pretty sure my rate is somewhere in between. I would go out and get a good quality meter and compare it to the one on the treadmill.

How you feel is very important too. When my rate is high I do get a little light headed... but then again I'm 40 and not necessarily in tip-top shape. It also wouldn't hurt to get a physical especially if you haven't had one in a while...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ive used fancy gym equipment and it doenst matter what kind you use, the heart rate monitors are junk.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,600 Posts
02xcape,

You should trust what you feel which is not necessarily what the heart rate monitor on the treadmill tells you.

In other words, I would recommend manually checking your heart rate if you are concerned.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
RobtRoma said:
It also wouldn't hurt to get a physical especially if you haven't had one in a while...
I agree with Rob. Let your Doctor know that you are working out when you see him and let him know about your concerns Perhaps, purchasing a quality heart rate monitor would also be a good idea. Your Doctor may be able to recommend a particular brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts