Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

rained all day here in southern cali. picked up the kids from school and all the streets were flooded 6 inches deep and and grid locked, except for chambers ave. there was no cars going down chambers ave, probably due to the 2 feet of water rushing down the street. well, the escape made it half way and died. then two full size trucks got stuck. I got out and pushed my escape 300 feet in the ice cold water to dry ground waited 5 minutes for it to dry out, and it started right up and i drove it home. as i was leaving I noticed that the two full size 4x4's were still stuck and romping on it in 4 wheel drive. I actually got mine out of the water and running and drove away before them and my engine died.

proof that our EMT's are pretty darn tough. took the wife out to dinner and shopping and it runs great. i did check some things on it for water, but found none.

my two teenagers told me they had the best afternoon they can remember.

:box:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just make sure you didn't get any water in the rear diff (via the breather) and enjoy!

Long live the Escape!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I'm a sucker for big puddles... hit a few good ones yesterday too. :lol:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They are great in floodwater, over here, Ford have stated that the wading depth is basically at the top of the plastic cladding fixed to the doors, have tested that once, proved correct :yahoo:

Glad you had fun.......................

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
sleeve said:
Just make sure you didn't get any water in the rear diff (via the breather) and enjoy!
I was going to mention that myself. If you get into really deep water and you have a rear differential (yours does), you should change the fluid in it just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
camusdarrach said:
They are great in floodwater, over here, Ford have stated that the wading depth is basically at the top of the plastic cladding fixed to the doors, have tested that once, proved correct :yahoo:

Agreed. My son and I hit some old forest roads a few months back and came upon a nice road-wide puddle about that deep. Made it through perfectly.

- sG

·
Registered
294 Posts
camusdarrach said:

hhmm, now i know what that cladding is for now!!! :)
By observation one day as i was testing the alternator on mine, long story short i found that the bottom of the alt is at the same level as the plastic cladding! now i know why...........lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
jpark said:
sleeve said:
I was going to mention that myself. If you get into really deep water and you have a rear differential (yours does), you should change the fluid in it just to be on the safe side.
If you plan on making a habit of submerging your diffs you might want to consider installing a "remote" rear diff breather as I have. Just a matter of removing the breather and fitting a hose, run it up out of the way and fit a filter of some description to it. Your front diff already has the breather hose up inside the engine bay.

This is pretty much how I did mine...even though these instructions were for a Landcruiser Prado:

http://www.lcool.org/technical/90_series/diff_breathers.html

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have to add my agreement to JP's and Christophera's suggestions.
Changing the rear diff's lubricant is the safe way to go.A few drops of water are enough to cause problems in a few thousand miles.
Substituting the rear diff's breather valve with a hose is a must for circumstances like these.It really costs nothing.
As for the alternator's position, there goes the stand of those who believe that "the manufacturer knows best".They do, but not always.I'm on my fourth and...seriously thinking about going through the expences of changing his position.

·
Registered
168 Posts
SUVord said:
As for the alternator's position, there goes the stand of those who believe that "the manufacturer knows best".They do, but not always.I'm on my fourth and...seriously thinking about going through the expences of changing his position.
Sooo... I know who to call when my alternator gives up the ghost.. you've obviously had plenty of practise at changing them out. :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.