Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can tell that my 3.0 v6 has a pretty heft chain to it. I had other cars with chains that needed to be changed every 150k or so...do the ones on the escapes need changed at all...this is by far the heaftiest chain Ive come by and Im not familiar with the escapes to much, I did not see a timing chain replacement or check in the owners manual scheduled maintenance guide

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh since we are on the topic of maintenance should I change to a fully synthetic oil? Ive never heard of engine sludge problems or anything with the escapes, but my dealer told me when I bought it I can go up to 5k miles (depending on the driving) on just the motorcraft blend and filter. If I do switch to synthetic what should be my new OCI and what brand do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My 2.0 Maverick has a timing belt, which I changed at 106,000 miles.
If it's a chain, then they are supposed to be a lifetime fitment, just keep a check on it, just in case.

As for oil, I use the recommended oil, and change it every 6000 miles.
Never found any benefit going down the fully synthetic route.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
jjohn320 said:
oh since we are on the topic of maintenance should I change to a fully synthetic oil? Ive never heard of engine sludge problems or anything with the escapes, but my dealer told me when I bought it I can go up to 5k miles (depending on the driving) on just the motorcraft blend and filter. If I do switch to synthetic what should be my new OCI and what brand do you guys recommend?
Which version of the 3.0 L V6 do you have?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squishy said:
jjohn320 said:
Which version of the 3.0 L V6 do you have?
hmm good question. Im not very familiar with the escapes (yet) what versions are there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey Ive also heard of a few ppl having problems with their transmissions. What are the first signs of trouble (Im really not used to how the newer tcm's shift and control). I know in the common problems I saw a transmission shudder, what kind of shudder is it? any other transmission problems I should check for? And best way to avoid/fix/prevent any transmission problems? My car is currently at 119k

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
According to my calculations for the earlier engine, a typical synthetic should be good for 8,000 miles. A high-quality HDEO can bump that up to 12,000 miles.

As for the transmission, the best thing you can do is regular oil changes. I do a drain-and-fill roughly every 15,000 miles (25,000 km here). I also have a remote-mounted transmission oil filter, as the CD4E has a metal mesh screen but no filter for small particulates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts