Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you tell me about the rear differential on the Escape/Tribute models? I heard that they are Dana 28 parts. ??? I haven't been able to find out any info yet online or elsewhere to confirm this. I would like to install a LSD or Locker in the "new" Escape so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I hate to say this cause I like to play with vehicles too. The Escape does not have an aftermarket worth talking about. Most thigs are developed from other simular cars ie the mazda 6, contour, cougar which have simular or the same engine and some drive train parts. If you look at the list you'll notice they are all cars. The platform is car based unibody design, thus very few off road parts.

The 01 to 04 4x4 system does lock the rear differential electrically and if you make a tight turn with it on it will hop the tires. The system is PMC controled to sense and adjust to any differential in tire speeds and adds power to the wheels that are not slipping. I would think adding a locker would effect this system with a less than desireable result.

In the 05s and up it is even more PMC controlled and they took out any user selection. I was doing the 4x4 thing as you know and it did real well on moderate trails which was all I needed it for. It willbe difficult to go much beyond that without some real drivetrain mods.

Might be easier to drop the body on a toyota frame and drivetrain... :roll:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts