Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, does anyone know if the Ford Logo on the steering wheel is replaceable? I went to the dealership and they said the only way was to replace the airbag at $700 :mad: Mine chipped in the upper corner, nothing major but if anyone knew of a quick fix on how to replace it, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Edit: I found one online that I purchased, should be the right size and everything. Anyone know how to install it? From the looks of it, it just has little prongs on the back that just push in. Here's a pic....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
I would have just gotten a decal overlay. I didn't know/think that emblem was replaceable either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kkreit01 said:
I would have just gotten a decal overlay. I didn't know/think that emblem was replaceable either.
If it doesn't fit, where can I find decal overlays?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
patriot decals are good. I got front grill and back hatch emblem overlay's from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Those tabs are bent over the backside of the vinyl, UNDER the airbag. You'd pretty much have to destroy the airbag to install that. We had one in the shop a little while back with the same problem.
The woman driving had someone pull out in front of her, she hammered the horn pretty hard & cracked and chipped the emblem. Since she turned sideways & clipped the instigator on her right quarter panel the airbag did not deploy but with a little arguing the ins. co. got to buy a nice new airbag since you cannot replace those emblems. :)
Where did you find that emblem???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeyK said:
Those tabs are bent over the backside of the vinyl, UNDER the airbag. You'd pretty much have to destroy the airbag to install that. We had one in the shop a little while back with the same problem.
The woman driving had someone pull out in front of her, she hammered the horn pretty hard & cracked and chipped the emblem. Since she turned sideways & clipped the instigator on her right quarter panel the airbag did not deploy but with a little arguing the ins. co. got to buy a nice new airbag since you cannot replace those emblems. :)
Where did you find that emblem???
Oh joy....well there goes my fun. :doh: Well thank you for warning me before I took the whole thing off in a fit of rage. I think I will now try to find a decal to go over it. ( I don't know if they will make them as small as I need it, we'll see...)

Believe it or not it was on Ebay, some guy has two of them, and I'm bidding on one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I wonder how he got ahold of those. I used to own a Chrysler 300M / There was a German guy whom worked at a factory where they manufactured/ assembled airbags & he'd come up with some chrysler (airbag) emblems every now & then. I would assume someone who works at a factory where they can get their hands on them smuggled some out. Ford does not sell those separately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
If it is to be had, it can be found on ebay...

I know they (webxtremes) make these for Sport Tracs, so I'm sure they can for Escapes as well. They may be the same size?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
or check to find an accidented escape in junkyard to get de deployed airbag and cannibalize the emblem!!!

:angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
gmercedesbenz said:
Edit: I found one online that I purchased, should be the right size and everything. Anyone know how to install it? From the looks of it, it just has little prongs on the back that just push in. Here's a pic....
right now im waiting the same ford truck emblems i bought online. Well, for the installation, i just left it to the mighty hand of our owned shop's mechanic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
I wonder if you could just use a small dab of paint, or a similarly-colored marker, to reduce the chip appearance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
My first post is a post for SAFETY!

Don't install that thing in your steering wheel. If the airbag deploys, you risk that thing flying towards your face at 250 mph.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top