Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I just found it interesting that the dealer apparently routinely lists vehicles as either right or left hand drive.....Right hand drive vehicles are fairly rare in the US, mostly limited to postal service vehicles and the occasional exotic import...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Corsair771 said:
I just found it interesting that the dealer apparently routinely lists vehicles as either right or left hand drive.....Right hand drive vehicles are fairly rare in the US, mostly limited to postal service vehicles and the occasional exotic import...
LHD cars are quite common here, due to the rest of Europe driving on the wrong side of the road, as well as all the USAF bases that we have, complete with imported American plated cars etc..
Other than that, quite a lot of HGV's, plant equipment (mobile cranes, roadsweepers etc) are also LHD.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
camusdarrach said:
<snip> due to the rest of Europe driving on the wrong side of the road <snip>
:hyst: :clap:

That's the spirit!!!
 

·
Super Moderator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
Joined
·
20,585 Posts
That is why I am TERRIFIED of driving in the UK. Sure enough some idiot (me) will start driving and next thing you have dogs and cats laying down together and...... :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
my buddy's dad imports and builds mini's always RHD, well he let me take one out once, that was a riot. and when i can afford to i will be purchasing one as my daily commuter vehicle. it was a blast! and it only took me about 5-10minutes in town before i stopped reaching for the window crank before reaching for the shifter :WW
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
CrashNburn said:
my buddy's dad imports and builds mini's always RHD, well he let me take one out once, that was a riot. and when i can afford to i will be purchasing one as my daily commuter vehicle. it was a blast! and it only took me about 5-10minutes in town before i stopped reaching for the window crank before reaching for the shifter :WW
Man I can't even imagine what that is like. Does it shift backwards to? Like is 1st gear top right then 2nd is bottom right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
ive only driven the one vehicle, but i do know that all the minis he has imported are all the same, just think of taking your steering wheel and putting it on the right side. the shift pattern is the same, and the peddles are in the same position, and the levers for the turn signals are all the same. the only difference is your position in the vehicle (which i feel gave me a better view because you can hug the curb and see farther down the road) and that you now shift with your left hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
CrashNburn said:
my buddy's dad imports and builds mini's always RHD, well he let me take one out once, that was a riot. and when i can afford to i will be purchasing one as my daily commuter vehicle. it was a blast! and it only took me about 5-10minutes in town before i stopped reaching for the window crank before reaching for the shifter :WW
Man I can't even imagine what that is like. Does it shift backwards to? Like is 1st gear top right then 2nd is bottom right?
Yes. And we drive everywhere backwards too, so U.K cars have 5 reverse gears and one forward. Our seats also face out the back of the car, so our headlights are actually tail-lights. :roll: :spank: :/:/

In all seriousness. A manual box has the same gate the world over. First is top left, second below it, etc (First person to mention dog-leg first gearboxes a la E30 M3, gets a :horse: )
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
The old Datsun (Nissan) F-10 had a thoroughly dangerous transmission in the US.

R 2 4
| | |
-----
| | |
1 3 5

Yup, people were shifting into reverse at red lights, and backing into cars behind them at green lights. None of the owners could figure out why people were honking at them while stopped at a light.

It didn't happen for long for each car, though. Since reverse wasn't synchronized, shifting into it while the car was still moving forward caused a nice, loud CRUNCH. People learned how to drive them after damaging their transmissions during the learning curve.

The 1-2 shift was also interesting, since the neutral gate wasn't spring-loaded. What'll it be, reverse, 2nd, or 4th?

:bill:

Bottom line? Watching these cars go down the road was comical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
thats funny. i used to have an 83 escort 4 speed, and revers was beside first. there was no lock or any way to prevent you from putting it into reverse when stopped and i never had a problem LoL. the norm seems to be this

R 1 3 1 3 5 but my buddy has a newer suzuki and its R 1 3 5
2 4 2 4 R 2 4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first lorry that I drove, up at my friends farm, when I was about 12, was a WWII AEC Matador, we used it as a winching truck for tree felling.
Th gearbox was a real :censor: , the gearbox gate was 5 3 1 r at the top, and 4 2 c at the bottom, to make it even more "interesting" it was a :censor: crash box!!! :lol:

At work, most of the coaches are push button automatic, eg R N D 2 1 :yahoo: , with the exception of 5 with a tiptronic box, :doh: 3 that have splitter gearboxes :yahoo: , and 2 which have 4/4 gearboxes!!! :doh: :lol: :)P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
i like driving the tow truck we have at work, its a 8sp 4L 4H with an air gate, a clutch and a torque converter. its great. you can down shift to slow down or you can just use the air brakes and exhaust brake, and when you stop, you can put your foot on the clutch (with no load put it in 5 or any gear you want it will start to move) and take your foot off the clutch and sit there with your foot on the brake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CrashNburn said:
i like driving the tow truck we have at work, its a 8sp 4L 4H with an air gate, a clutch and a torque converter. its great. you can down shift to slow down or you can just use the air brakes and exhaust brake, and when you stop, you can put your foot on the clutch (with no load put it in 5 or any gear you want it will start to move) and take your foot off the clutch and sit there with your foot on the brake.
I like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have you ever driven a truck with an Eaton gearbox, 4 low, 4 medium and 4 High, which also then gives you 3 reverse gears, low, medium, and high!!, good for 30mph plus!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: :)^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
ive never driven something with more then one reverse gear. bit i have driven this



and this is the tow truck i was referring to with the 8 sp tranny its a 25ton tow truck.

 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top