Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a thread about speculation the Kugas would replace Escapes possibly in NA. The Kugas looks to me to be much more Edge looking than Escape and it looses what many love about the Escape look.

Found this over on the blueoval forum, it sounds like MY 2011 is coming and updates are planned for MY 2012.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/in ... pemariner/]

:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good to see Ford is still bright enough to keep a good thing going. When you've got the #1 product in its class, why ditch it? They've been doing this for a while:

Ford Ranger - basically the same truck since 1982, but with continued evolution rather than revolution (like say Nissan, Toyota or GMC/Chev in the compact class). Still the only small truck I'd consider, including the now giant Tacoma.

Ford Aerostar - Remember how these were supposed to disappear once the Villager and Windstar came out? But, they kept on keeping on for a couple more years (like the Chev Astro as well)

But, they've blown a couple too:

Ford Minivans - say what you will about the Windstar/Freestar, there are still WAY more of these on the road than Odysseys and Siennas, and the Flex/Freestyle replacements sure aren't/weren't doing the volume.

Tempo/Topaz -sorry, the far more expensive Contour/Mystique (Amercian Mondeo) just couldn't do what these did, even though it was a superior car in every way. In many respects, this is kind of like the Escape/Kuga story - the Kuga is a fantastic Euro Ford that on paper is superior to the Escape in almost every imaginable way. BUT, since it is a look alike to the Tuscon, RAV4, etc etc, and will inevitably be priced higher....well, maybe Ford learned that just because something is an older design, it doesn't make it bad.

The Escape isn't the most refined mini-ute out there, or the best equipped, or the most modern platform. But I could have bought any of them, and I was, effectively, a "Honda Man". There are 3 other new (2 08's and a 2010) Escapes in my staff parking lot, and 2 came from Toyota (a RAV4 and a Highlander, both previous generations) and one came from an 06 Odyssey (I came from an 07). The first two are the same as me - they wanted something more genuine, less faceless and nameless than the new offerings from the competition. And I am afraid that for a lot of buyers, the Kuga would be that faceless nameless vehicle with no personality.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think I've heard others say it, and I'll repeat it cause I agree, bring back the Bronco. Wouldn't a modern version of a tough little SUV with real 4x4 and power be awesome! The Nissan Xterra is the only modern small SUV I've found that actually claims off road ability, and actually drives decent on the road, I wish Ford has something to compete with it besides the Escape which has lower towing capacity and is much less rugged, a new Bronco would fit the bill.

Glad to hear they are keeping the Escape, even if I'm not that fond of the new ones. I can see myself getting one though if I need a street ride in the future. I hope I never have to drive a car unless it's a rally car or a super car, and I think I'll walk before I own a van.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts