Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time poster here.

I have a 2007 Escape hybrid with 29000 miles on it. It has an annoying clunk from the front chassis area when driving over uneven pavement at speeds under 20 mph. If you drive about 5 to 10 mph on a smooth surface and make a quick steering motion, it also clunks. It is still under warranty, but I'd feel better if I knew the probable cause when I went into the dealer.

I did post this question over at Greenhybrid, but I'm looking for more possibilities. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I vaguely remember my 02 having a sort of clunk a few months ago. I ended up getting the tie rods replaced as they were apparently worn. The clunk is gone and the steering seemed to have tightened up at the time.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The earlier Escapes had sway bar links which were prone to early failure and presented your symptoms. If the newer ones still use the same supplier (TRW), that would be my best guess.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Squishy said:
The earlier Escapes had sway bar links which were prone to early failure and presented your symptoms. If the newer ones still use the same supplier (TRW), that would be my best guess.
he is right!!! and they are pretty cheap. and you can change them with the tire on if you really wanted to. but a jack, jack stand, a prybar, an allen key, and a wrench is all you need.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squishy said:
Wow. Seriously -failure at 29,000 miles? I live on a gravel road, but I baby it. Is there an easy test for the sway bar bushings, without replacing them, to verify that they are the culprit?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
My first set failed at around that point.

You can test them by taking the tire off and checking the link for looseness at the joints. They should rotate smoothly and have no play. Sometimes they will fail when the grease dries up, in which case you will have squeaking then you turn the link.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I've had them replaced twice. I've only got 68,000 miles on my Escape...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Squishy said:
X2. The originals are incredibly wimpy. Too bad by '07 they didn't improve, assuming it is the problem. In testing mine, I grabbed them and gave them a good wiggle. They obviously had some play.
Good thing is you can change them in a few minutes, as long as they aren't rusted on.
My replacements had a different size hex to hold the threads than originals.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

Just got back from the dealer. It was the link on the front sway bar that was loose. They replaced both, but the right one felt especially loose.

When I was checking it, I noticed with the tire on the ground I could feel the slop in the link, but with the tire hanging, it felt tight.

Thanks to all for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts