Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a Ford 3.0 Duratec engine break down? Im looking for the procedure for taking the lower 2" peice between the block and the oilpan off to reseat it in RTV sealant now that the seals have blown out. I think it's called a "lower cylinder block plate" Do I have to remove the timing chain cover? I know it involves at minimum removing the oilpan and y-pipe, which I have to anyway because the oil pan gasket is leaking and the y-pipe needs to be replaced. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I dont know if I can afford the dealer to work on the car. Also has anyone had the dealer take care of this before and know the approx cost to fix.

Ohh by the way I recommend that everyone change there PCV Valve at 50,000 mile intervals because, if would have changed it earlier than the recommended 100,000 miles. I wouldn't be in this predicament.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What you are pointing at in the picture is the "lower cylinder block".It holds the main bearings caps supporting the crankshaft.It is a major job removing it as it involves disassembly of the timing components, pulleys, oil pump etc.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I assumed. Im gonna clean the engine one more time. and check it again. I know the crankshaft seal is leaking but I dont think the oil could get up that high on the engine. I could be wrong. I had my mechanic look at it and he said he isnt 100% positive where its coming from. Im hoping its just the oilpan or the crankseal.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You really need to get a hold of the shop manual for that engine so you know what to remove and what torque values are needed to properly reinstall everything. I'm not saying don't do it... I'm saying read the directions before doing it so you don't wind up doing it three seperate times.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ajc6882 said:
Thats what I assumed. Im gonna clean the engine one more time. and check it again. I know the crankshaft seal is leaking but I dont think the oil could get up that high on the engine. I could be wrong. I had my mechanic look at it and he said he isnt 100% positive where its coming from. Im hoping its just the oilpan or the crankseal.
With the car moving and the radiator fans working, hot oil coming out of the crankshaft pulley seal can climb to Mt.Wasington.Only a good clean will help you find out.
If you have difficulty getting hold of the workshop manual don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Haynes Manual for the Escape, but anyone here who has it should know it has great info but does leave a lot to be desired. It has most torque values but is missing quite a bit.

If anyone has info on how to approach this repair please let me know.
I will remove the exhaust flex pipe, then the oil pan. but from there it looks like I should be able to remove the lower crankcase without removing the timing cover, even though it covers over the peice. If the timing cover has to come off then it becomes a really big project. So if anyone has attempted this let me know. I know I can handle it, but Im just not sure if I want to. lol

I will clean up the engine area and keep an eye on the leak to see if it's the crankshaft seal making the oil mess. I have my fingers crossed.

SUVord are you from New England? Because you referenced Mt. Washington.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No I do not come from new England but I am pretty familiar with the area.
I have winter-climbed Mt.Washington five times in the late seventies and early eighties.On one occasion I almost met my creator.Treacherous winds at 300 yards from the top.
I have the best of memories of all New England and her people.

Ok, later today I shall put together pieces from the manual that concern the job you want to do although I am not certain you have to go through all that.Here is what I would do in similar situations.
1/Definitely change the crankshaft pulley seal and the oil pan gasket.
2/Clean well the matting seem between the lower cylinder block and the upper cylinder block but without using any oil degreaser or other chemicals but water and dish washing liquid so not to further deteriorate the RTV.
3/Dry well
4/Using a cloth and alcohol spirit at least 80% proof clean the seem between the blocks again.
5/With the help of a spatula or knife apply with some pressure the RTV on the seem.After a day apply a second layer of RTV without any pressure this time.If any oil was sipping out from the seem, that should take care of it.
Good day to you

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that sounds like what I was thinking of doing lol. Im happy you suggested it. If its truly the lower crankcase thats leaking its more of a seepage. Im still hoping its only the crankcase or the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
People think that Mt Washington is a joke because it doesnt have a tremendous elevation. But I hiked this mountain on July 3rd 2001. So it was about 85*F, humid and sunny. As we climbed we approached the last 1/3 of the mountain. It was 30*F, 60-80mph wind with freezing rain. We were not prepared for such a difference in weather. and we were forced to turn around. We met many people who were camping up at the Lake in the Clouds and they told me that they could barely take there tents down with out getting blown around. One man had a beard that was completly covered in ice! Fun times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts