Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my next project is to lower my escape. i found some KYB shocks & struts and they look promising, but im still not sure. i was wanting some feedback on the KYB and any other aftermarket escape suspension setups that anyone has.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The KYB's you are looking at are probably just the stock replacements. The stock struts will work fine with a set of H&R's.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lowering the escape 2" will change the static geometry of the suspension. A full four wheel alignment will be in order and with that you'll need excentric bolts up front and different control arms in the back to get it back into factory specs.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
SprinterX said:
Lowering the escape 2" will change the static geometry of the suspension. A full four wheel alignment will be in order and with that you'll need excentric bolts up front and different control arms in the back to get it back into factory specs.
That is very true... of you will be buying tires every year and that gets expensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i kept the stock shocks and put the h&r springs on, wouldnt my shocks blow pretty quick?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would say h&r or the intrax. i just put the h&r's on and i wish it was a little lower but it might all settle some more. the eibach springs are the smallest drop and you probly wouldn't even tell it was lowered

·
Registered
103 Posts
i'm not sure what's available for the escape, but these guys are right about a 2" drop altering the suspension geometry. for most cars there is either a camber kit available or another option (i presume the eccentric bolts / control arms answer is the proper solution for the Escape). otherwise, you'll wear the inner tread off the tires faster than you know what hit you.

if you're going to use lowering springs, you need to use struts with more damping because of the decreased suspension travel. this isn't just a matter of protecting the existing struts, it's a matter of suspension performance. lowering your car should IMPROVE the handling, not ruin it. ever see guys driving around on dropped vehicles where, when they hit a pothole, you can see the car body bouncing up and down? those are the guys who did it wrong. However, be advised that, the lower you go, the more suspension travel you're removing, the stiffer the struts need to be, and the more kidney punishing your ride needs to be. if you just tool around on pavement with your Escape that's fine, but if you actually hit any gravel with it or go off-road, you might be in for an uncomfortable surprise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've been researching it more. i decided to go with the h&r springs with KYB shocks and struts. and i'll get some essentric bolts and get everything aligned so i dont have camber issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are they KYB GR-2's? Those are usually stiffer than stock. Had H&R springs and KYB AGX shocks on my old impreza, fully adjustable, had them set to the setting that made them perform like the GR-2's for everyday driving, still had great feel and relative comfort for a lowered compact car. Should notice a pretty substantial handling improvment with the combo you chose. Now that you're lower, time for some 18's, better tires, larger sway bars, endlinks, bushings, and an anti-lift kit... :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup, the shocks are Gr-2's. My bushings are shot, so i will be replacing those as well when i do this. and honestly i think 18s are too big for the escape, i think 17s would be perfect, although i may change my mind after i lower it. those wheel wells are just so cavernous. and i'll eventually get better tires, i have Michelin LT4's on there right now, and they have done me well, but they are pretty new still so i'll wait till they're gone to replace them, unless i got some amazing deal on some bigger wheels

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have another question. my front ball joints need to be replaced. should i replace just the joints or the control arms as well. what is the benefit of replacing the control arms too?

·
Registered
446 Posts
do you have a pic of your ride as is right now?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello MATrigger! I like the mud photo. :) :thumb: :lol: :lol: :clap: Yes, have to admit of being a tad envious. Your photo brings back lots of memories. Those were the good old days.

Unfortunately i had to refrain, from any further mud track 4x4 adventures. This is because i cooked the oil in gearbox. Luckily the dilemma was fixed with new gearbox oil. Took heed of my service technicians advice. He told me that next time, i might be up for a very expensive gearbox and transaxle repair.

Because of this i can not do any 4x4 driving. Can not risk the chance of stressing the transaxle or gearbox. Anyway it is the only car i have. My priority for it, is mainly transport to my job. Your photo shows what our escapes are capable of.

Yes, i can recall negotiating muddy conditions in the escape. I know for a fact, that my previous conventional falcon sedans would not have managed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is why i had a chain on the hitch

those 2 digging had a communication error and the one sticking his butt at the camera, not the jeep owner btw, thought straddle the rut meant drive in the rut :doh:
we spent' an hour and a half digging out the over half buried both front and rear axles, and the diff. we finally pulled it out with the escape!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts