Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. lucky for me.
At the moment the Australian dollar is hovering around parity with the US dollar....the closest its ever been. This gives us here in Oz the opportunity to buy from the US at prices a lot lower than what we would have had to in the past.
Even with the cost of freight added, we now have access to a much wider range of product than is available here..at much more affordable prices. :)

I've just bought a pair of Moog sway bar links and a set of Ceramic brake pads for my Escape for half of what I would have to pay for them here (if I could find them). This includes freight costs and they arrived within 7 days of ordering. So..they're fitted now, the car feels much better on the road and certainly stops a lot better.

So...while a weakening US dollar is bad for your importers, it is very good for your exporters. On the reverse side of the coin..... a strong Aussie dollar is great for imports...not so good for exports.

Just thought I'd share :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Same thing in Europe.
It is more affordable now to order direct from the US than buy the same part in the local market.It is great and bothersome at the same time.
And forgetting about parts, I wish it were legal to order some gas too from the US...
Right now, Holland first and Greece a close second, have the most expensive gas prices in Europe.
Foster's on the other hand...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thats good for you!!

The weak US dollar is also helping to get a lot of stuff here for almost 20% less than one year ago, including cars that are priced in dollars (mostly Bmw, MB, Audi, Alfas, etc)! But as you say, all of the exporters are crying, since that also means like 20% off from their income (and we have a strong exporting economy: Oil, Flowers, Agricultural goods)

I guess its not easy to have everyone pleased :bill: ...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ditto from Canada - as long as you order from the US.....prices in Canada are still 20% or more above US prices on an identical item, plus higher sales tax.

And they wonder why there was a 2 hour wait at the border in Niagara Falls last weekend?

·
Registered
277 Posts
kmoose said:
Ditto from Canada - as long as you order from the US.....prices in Canada are still 20% or more above US prices on an identical item, plus higher sales tax.

And they wonder why there was a 2 hour wait at the border in Niagara Falls last weekend?
The "Peace Arch" border crossing just south of Vancouver (into Washington state) is likely one of the busiest between the U.S. and Canada - last weekend (which many made into a 4-day weekend with Remembrance Day on Thursday) the wait was up to 4-hours (a 2-hour wait is almost "standard").

:tease:

Seeing fellow Canucks queued up on the 11th February to spend their dollars south of the line (while the rest of us attended remembrance ceremonies to honour those who fought for our freedoms) just felt wrong.

Also, no way I'm going to spend that kind of time waiting to enter the U.S. - I'd have to be buying a lot more than cheap bread, milk, and gas to justify that kind of investment in my weekend family time. Still, it is certainly tempting when you hear about the deals others have gotten (after returning from their shopping sprees).

:bill:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts