Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

we have an 09 escape hybrid limited and have been having the same problem for almost as long as we've owned the car.

there is a "ticking" noise coming from somewhere overhead, seems to be front passenger side. it does not occur constantly, but consistently...meaning, 9 times out of 10, you're driving the car and the noise is going to start up at some point. it is much louder when the sunroof cover is open but you can hear it clearly even with it closed. pushing on the headliner seems to cause it to stop until you let up the pressure and it will start right up again. it happens at highway speeds and around town, all types of weather conditions.

have had it to the dealer probably close to 10 times now trying to get it traced down. we are told one of two things: that it has been "fixed" (and yes, we have been in the car with a tech on at least two occasions where they have heard the noise) or that they don't hear the noise (inevitably, it will start up as we're driving it off the lot). i've even recorded the noise but don't see a way to attach a file here...?

please help before we go completely nuts!! :wall:

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
About the only thing above the passenge side is the satelite antenna, maybea loose wire that has slipped out of a retainer clip is flapping when the air starts moving around it? :confused:
Not sure how easy it is to pull down the front of the headliner but it might be worth a look to see if there is anything hanging loose and maybe jam some foam or something in there to keep it quiet.
Good news is that there's not much in the way of major mechanical issues that can happen in the headliner.
Just my 2 cents worth. :peace:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, rehctelf

i had to laugh about the foam suggestion...that was one of the dealer's big "fixes" that wasn't. i also seem to remember them mentioning a clip at some point...again, the problem was not solved.

not sure about pulling the headliner off either...anyone done that? also wondering if the noise is coming from the sunroof itself.

please keep replies coming

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is it a steady clicking? If so, then could it be something with the sunroof motor? If not, then maybe it's a wire bouncing around like rehctelf mentioned. To get the headliner down, I'm pretty sure you'd need to remove the handles in the ceiling, sun visors, and the upper trim pieces that go over the pillars. It's not too hard to do.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
what about putting the head liner back up? Spray glue and stretching the material back into it's proper place would have to be done, correct? that sounds pretty difficult in my opinion. Or once the liner is on would it remain in its current fit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wouldn't recommend pulling down the headliner on a new vehicle that I'm assuming is still under warranty. I pull headliners at least twice a week - to get one down, you need to remove the overhead console, the visors, any grab handles, clothes hangers and attaching points, the trim at each of the pillars all around the vehicle, and pull away the rubber around the top of each door. (In two years at this job, I haven't removed a headliner with a moonroof, so I don't know what's involved with that.) Wear latex surgical gloves in order to keep greasy handprints off the headliner and other parts.

The headliner can be pulled out in one piece through the rear hatch, whether it's one- or two-piece. While it is somewhat rigid, it can be bent easily when taking it out of the vehicle. If working outdoors, a good wind can get it airborne. Doors can also damage the rubber around them if the door is closed with the rubber hanging down, damaging the metal pieces that help the rubber keep its shape. Plastic trim at the pillars can be cracked or bent if you're not careful, and the small clips, screws and "christmas trees" that hold the trim on can be lost or broken. (Put all attaching parts in a bag so you don't lose them.)

I'm not trying to scare you away from working on your vehicle in order to resolve your problem - just making you aware of the things that can happen, even to professionals who do this sort of thing routinely. If the car is under warranty, by all means, let the dealership handle it, and pester them until they do - that way, they're responsible for any damaged or missing parts should the headliner have to come down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the feedback, please keep it coming.

anyone think it could be something that doesn't involve removing the headliner? so frustrating...planning to drive straight to the dealer the next time it makes the noise and i am nearby...although my confidence level is not real high...just don't understand why this seems to be such an issue

·
Registered
37 Posts
ive found 2 irritating squeeks from my 2008 escape one was coming from the CD player and one from the rear hatch all repaired by me. The ford dealership was either deaf or just didnt care. they kept my car for one whole day with no luck. So i just did the repairs myself. Took off the entire center off and added tape to the existing plastic corners of the CD player and noise is gone. THe hatch was also repaired using electrical tape around the bottom latch of the hatch. Problem fixed no more clicking and squeeking rear. Maybe one of these could be the culprit?? also try checking the sun visors or sun glass holder if you have one they may be rattling. Your best bet would to clean out your car of any loose things then have someone drive while you try to look for the rattle and thats how i found mines. If unsucessfull try going to another dealership and they might have better technicians available. hope this helps you...goodluck

·
Registered
105 Posts
you could try taking the headliner down slightly at the passenger side, and shine a torch in and see if anything is loose, thats what i did when i was putting cables in for my lights (had to get to the interior light on the ceiling of an 02 escape/maverick.

All that was involved in that was to take the door seal away from where its onto the car body at the top, it just sits in. Unscrew 2 screws from the handle above the door and loosen the trim on the middle pillar that let me shine a torch up and see if i could see any cables/problems.

Doing this at least lets you see if something is mabye loose without pulling everything down to realise it wasnt up there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm wondering if the ticking sound is actually taking place elsewhere in the vehicle and being transmitted through the metal structure of the car until it sounds like it's overhead. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
appreciate the replies, everyone, please keep them coming.

going to do some investigating as soon as we are able.

not sure if I stated this earlier, but the noise is louder when the sunroof cover panel is open, and it seems to be coming from overhead and slightly behind the passenger if you are in that seat. the noise can also still be heard with the sunroof itself open. it is a distinct "ticking" type sound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm from what i seen in my maverick/escape all that is up there is the wiring loom for the interior light which is fast clipped to the roof, and the sunroof stuff, i'd start with having a look at the wiring loom and see if its mabye came loose and with the vibrations its tapping against the roof.

torch and a screw driver seems like a good answer :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Have you ridin as a passenger to investigate the noise while its being drivin?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
planning to do that

also wanted to note that the noise seems to be somewhat temperature sensitive...more apt to hear it at cooler temps...does that seem to point to anything in particular?

is there a way to attach a zip file of the noise?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem on the driver's side. I have a sunroof. My car is a 2009 Escape.

I would describe it as a "ticking" or "tacking" sound, like they used weak adhesive to attach the fabric of the car to the ceiling. My theory is that it is worsened by sunroof installations as it disrupts the continuous stream of fabric on the interior of the vehicle roof.

I am taking my car back to the dealer to have them take a look at it. I do not want to have to go to the dealer over and over again though.

Anyone else have success fixing this problem?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
To tell you the truth thats still hard to comprehend. To me it sounded like a marble hitting tile. So I still dont know. I looked at my E and wonderd what could make that noise.

·
Registered
438 Posts
OK, I have had that ticking noise in my Tribute since new.
I've pinpointed mine to the headliner over my head while driving. It's in the depression right above the headrest.

All your posts are exactly the noise and situation I am having.
The quote..
I would describe it as a "ticking" or "tacking" sound, like they used weak adhesive to attach the fabric of the car to the ceiling.
is pretty much dead on.

It is temperature sensitive like you said, and not real cold or real hot, but in between. If I push up on the headliner, it goes away, then release and it comes back. Like the quote above, I too suspect there isn't enough adhesive to keep the headliner flush with the roof in that area, allowing the movement and making the ticking noise. When pushing on the headliner and then releasing, I can here the sticky, tacking adhesive, pulling away from the headliner.

So if your looking for other solutions and not having to take the headliner down, you won't fix your problem.
You will have to take the headliner down, and re-glue that area and reinstall. I'm living with mine for the time being, and just turn up the radio.

Use the procedure listed in this thread to do so, or take it into the dealer, or mechanic.
Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts