Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have 3.0l 2002 escape have nothing but problems but now a new one. Me and wife went for a drive today ran around town with no issues stopped to get a drink and car died trying to start again. Had just started it 10 minutes prior no issues no idiot light nothing so tried to jump didn't work replaced battery to get to shop and won't turn over. Starts to crank and power dies nothing from starter never has chance to turn over. What can be wrong now. Could be alternator but should still start up. Fuel reset is fine do I need to reset ecu or anything before having towed again. I hate this car pretty quickly has had alot inspected and replaced by ford just has become a money pit so any help would be great. It has a shot ac compressor but that is only current issues till this

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Is the battery you put on a new one?You say it cranks and then it dies.
With a new battery if curent dies there is bad electrical contacts somewhere, ground may be one of them or a seized starter.I would also check the alternator's contacts and spray some WD 40 or something similar on them.
Take the engine oil filler cap of and with someone trying to start the engine see through the oil filler if the timing chain moves as the engine is cranking.
Does the cable from the positive battery terminal gets prety warm after a few tries?
Did you have prior issues with your starter?
Is the weather cold and humid?
Please do not hesitate to get back with some feedback.Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery I swapped is brand new. No issues with starter battery cable not getting warm it isn't cranking it's like pre spinning or rather soon as I turn to start position on key it cuts out is best way to describe. No known issues with alternator we just travelled cross country never had a light 24 hours later it died . Only. Thing left on car to replace and make newit seems it ac compressor. And no we live in the desert so not humid or really cold

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
1/ There is a starter relay in the Battery Junction box, (the fuse box next to the battery).
2/There is an ignition relay in the central junction box .
If there is no bad ground or other circuit short, then one of these relays may be the problem.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
Try using your spare key to start 'er up. If the chip on the key is bad (or any other reason the ECM can't detect the codes from the key), you'll get similar symptoms.
...and see if it will crank with the gears shifter at N instead of P.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know it sounds bad but found the issue. it was the a/c compressor had ceased from spinning anymore. in the process has slowed the serpentine belt to the point of almost being useless. i got it to start drove to my mechanic and shut it off it wouldn't start again. so told him what was going on and said it will probably work just fine for you. it started right up for him and he drove into the bay and soon as it was in position the serpentine belt snapped. so that was the end of my issues for this week. it caused all kinds of other issues as it was failing and now nothing can be read off the obdII all is clear so hope it will finally be a good vehicle.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Glad you figured it out and thanks for posting your findings. :yes: Hopefully that is it for a good long time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts