Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know on the earlier models there was an auto-4hi switch on the 4WD models. As years went on this switch vanished. Has anyone explored the possiblilty of putting it back in? Looking to see if there is a way to engage 4WD when I want, rather then wait for slippage. This way it will remain engaged. Since it is fully electronically engaged now, and the drivetrain has remained the same, I have to believe that there is a tie in point that can be accessed to control this function.

Any thoughts all? JP, i know you can feed me something here. Where's the signal form the ECM for 4WD?

Sorry I haven't been around much. Busy at work, and my Mac at home won't hold the loggin and it's pissin me off.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
No say. I wouldn't want to toast the controller computer :stop: , and I'm thinking they are connected...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I've actually read somewhere before where someone had actually done this. Didn't hear a whole lot more about it but I believe it can be done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry, for some reason I kept missing the misc topics below all the manual clips from JP. I know this post doesn't really belong here, so if a moderator wishes to move it down below that would be swell. Sorry again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll give this thread a bump. Anyone have any more info on this? I'm gonna purchase the factory service manual and see if I can figure out how to put a switch in which would force 4wd all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Even the 01-04 Escapes couldn't lock both axles together. That switch just energised a clutch pack which overrode the standard coupling. It really just had two different ways of sending power to the rear axle - the "Auto" method with a rotary blade coupling which was slower to respond but safer on pavement, and the "On" mode with a ball-ramp actuator which is more solid and quicker to respond, but may introduce driveline binding due to how sensitive it is.

The 05+ Escapes likely don't have the "4x4 On" clutch pack or the ball ramp. I don't know how it's done, but it's a newer system and likely is more computer-controlled using electromagnetic clutches. None of the Escapes could have both axles truly locked together.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Mine can

:bill: :hyst:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got access to the factory service manual, and it appears the engagement of the clutches to drive the rear wheels is quite complex. I don't think its going to be possible with a simple pushbutton switch. Its all done via the CAN bus, and the algorithm measures the difference in speed between the front and rear wheels, as well as checks against the throttle position.

Appearently,under heavy throttle (based on throttle position) torque is automatically transfered to the rear wheels, even without any wheels spin.

·
Registered
758 Posts

The AWD vehicles almost always induce torque being sent to the rear wheels from a stop regardless of weather conditions. This is shown on the scanguage II units.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
My guess is that the wieght shift to the rear makes for better tractive properties on the rear wheels than the front. So they bias the system to the rear for heavy acceleration. :peace:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts