Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a newer Ford Escape that was stick shift. If anyone has one how are they? How many gears? How is the gearing?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yeah they come only on the I4 with, I believe, 5 gear w/ overdrive.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I drove one and thought it was pretty good - much much quicker than a slushbox 4cyl. BUT, I wanted AWD and it couldn't be made that way. I love driving a stick but went with V6 for the extra pooowwwwweeeeerrrrr.

However, in Canada at least, you can order a FWD 4cyl 5 speed Escape fully loaded with leather, sunroof, sync, 17" wheels, etc, which is something you can't do with CRV (no longer has a manual), RAV4 (ditto), Rogue (ditto), etc.

Resale is something to consider. There are always krazys like me out there looking for a stickshift car (kind of a needle in a haystack in North America) but most people in North America want a slushbox, especially in a SUV/Crossover.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i know wat u mean no one wants to drive stick shift trucks or suv's anymore more i work at a Cadillac Hummer and Saab dealership and the H3 Hummer has an option for a manual gearbox with a inline 5 or a V8 they are so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have an '08 manual. Had to drive to CA to buy it. There was only one in AZ and it was silver.

I like it. Would have rather had the V6, but as I use it as my daily driver, the fuel efficiency is nice.

It's a 5 speed and shifts short. Took me a while to get used to the small amount of clutch movement (was used to a car with large clutch travel).

The only problem I've had is that I have to turn of the A/C when starting up or it bogs, which is fine because I got used to just sticking out my finger while shifting to 1st and my finger hits the button to turn it off. And, it saves some gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts