Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is alot of brake fluid on the master cylinder i dont think the cap is sealing properly what should i do?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I know there was a problem with the M.C. caps leaking in the 2001-02 models. I had that same problem and the cap was replaced by my dealer under warranty. If I remember correctly, Ford redesigned the cap for the 2003 models. The part number for the new and improved cap was 2L8Z-2162-AA. From what I've read, the original cap had yellow lettering on it. The new one was all black.

Additionally, there was talk about caps being over-tightening causing the gasket to deform enough to allow fluid to be forced past the seal under pressure. To prevent this, it was suggested that after tightening the cap you back it off just a bit so it rides more on the detent of the locking mechanism of the cap.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cap i have is all yellow, there is a recall with date codes before DCA7078 i dont know how to read that?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I figure this is the recall you are talking about:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recall Date: 2007-03-29
Components: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC: FOUNDATION COMPONENTS...
Cars Affected: 13,128

Summary:
CERTAIN CARDONE MASTER CYLINDERS WITH DATE CODES LOWER THAN DCA7078 SOLD AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT FOR USE ON THE VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. THE SEAL ON MASTER CYLINDER CAN FAIL AND LEAK BRAKE FLUID.

Consequences:
LOSS OF BRAKE FLUID CAN RESULT IN POOR BRAKING PERFORMANCE, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
CARDONE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO REPURCHASE ANY DEFECTIVE MASTER CYLINDERS. THE RECALL BEGAN DURING APRIL 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT CARDONE AT 1-800-777-4780.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure how to read the dates either. Maybe you can call the 800 number they provide...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been having issues with my cap leaking on my 2002. This weekend it started leaking pretty badly. I could not locate one close by nor did I want to pay $30.00 for it. I came up with a free fix for my cap and it appears to be working great after 2 days. I took the cap off, covered the master cylinder temporarily, and went looking for some thin plastic. I found a plastic lid to a folgers can. I removed the rubber gasket from inside the cap, and cut a small donut shaped ring out of the lid. I put it inside the cap, replaced the rubber seal, and put it back on. After doing this, I noticed that it really snugs up the cap, and it has stopped leaking. I tried using 2 pieces of plastic first and the cap did not click closed, so you may need to experiment with different thicknesses of materials to find the right fit. Make sure to keep the cap and gasket clean, as to not contaminate the braking system. Hopefully this saves someone some hassle and money. I am pretty frugal, so it makes me happy that I was able to save $30 and fix this myself for free. :) Do this at your own risk, and please be careful. I assume no liability for any issues or incidents that may arise from you doing this to your vehicle.

·
Registered
836 Posts
wesleyn said:
I have been having issues with my cap leaking on my 2002. This weekend it started leaking pretty badly. I could not locate one close by nor did I want to pay $30.00 for it. I came up with a free fix for my cap and it appears to be working great after 2 days. I took the cap off, covered the master cylinder temporarily, and went looking for some thin plastic. I found a plastic lid to a folgers can. I removed the rubber gasket from inside the cap, and cut a small donut shaped ring out of the lid. I put it inside the cap, replaced the rubber seal, and put it back on. After doing this, I noticed that it really snugs up the cap, and it has stopped leaking. I tried using 2 pieces of plastic first and the cap did not click closed, so you may need to experiment with different thicknesses of materials to find the right fit. Make sure to keep the cap and gasket clean, as to not contaminate the braking system. Hopefully this saves someone some hassle and money. I am pretty frugal, so it makes me happy that I was able to save $30 and fix this myself for free. :) Do this at your own risk, and please be careful. I assume no liability for any issues or incidents that may arise from you doing this to your vehicle.
Nice mod and all, but when it comes to brakes I would spend the $30 just to be safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree. I live quite a distance from the nearest Ford dealer, and we got over a foot of snow this weekend. It is actually still snowing. We were going to be doing some traveling and I didn't want to drive it leaking. Normally I would have ordered another, but I was shocked at how well it worked, and thought I would share.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts