Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, we decided to go to Leeds city centre to do some shopping.
About 1/4 mile away from our destination, a driving school BMW Mini pulled out of a side road, neither the pupil, or the instructor looked to their right. :censor: :wall:
Despite my swerving to the right, our vehicles collided :doh: , causing only minor damage to the Maverick, new bumper and nearside headlamp, the Mini needs a new o/s wing, headlamp, bumper and bonnet.
The driving instructor jumped out of his car, and stormed over to me stating it was my fault because I was doing over 40mph in a 30 zone, and didn't have my headlights on, as it was raining heavily at the time.
The instructor then noticed that the car which had been following me for the last 5 miles, a West Yorkshire Police motorway patrol Ford Explorer, had pulled up behind me, and a Police Mercedes Sprinter TSG minibus, which was travelling the other way, also stopped. :yahoo:
Due to the sudden braking, the seatbelt had dug into my pregnant wifes stomach area, and she was in a little pain, so the police called for an ambulance, which took us to hospital, after a few scans my wife was discharged, there didn't appear to be any problems, but she has to return there on Wednesday Am for another checkup, just to make sure.
As it was a motorway police car, it was fitted with CCTV, the whole incident was recorded on video :yahoo: , I was doing 15mph at the time of impact, my average speed for the last 4 miles was 24 mph :angel: , and my lights were on.
The police arranged for my car to be recovered to the local Ford dealer whilst we were in the hospital, and then took us back home, to take a statement.
As it was all recorded, the police are now prosecuting both the learner driver, and her instructor, for "Driving without due car and attention", and no action against me :yahoo: :angel:
So it looks like I'm now stuck with the Laguna for a few days :cuss: , at least my son enjoyed all the blue flashing lights, and all the attention he got!!!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Wow, so glad you are all okay and only the Maverick is stuck in the hospital. Hopefully it won't be there tooooo long!!
:beer: :heart: :beer:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Thank god all is OK, more so for the little one.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Glad to hear all are OK. Sorry to hear about your Maverick!!! :cry:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your kind comments, yes, it could have been a lot worse, at least nobody was hurt, just shaken up.
However, I am soooo glad that the incident was witnessed by 5 police officers, and recorded on video, it has made dealing with the insurance company so much easier, it is the first accident I've had in 19 years of driving, but it could'nt have happened in a better location, outside a police station!!!!, and the hospital was only 5 minutes walk away.
Having had a ride home in the Police Ford Explorer, I could be tempted to part ex for one ........ :worry:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow! Glad you and your family are OK. Please let us know how your wife does.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update....
Wife had another round of tests at the hospital, there does'nt appear to be any cause for concern, but she has to attend there again next wednesday to be probed again.
Had a telephone call from the Ford dealer, they have put a new front bumper on, and replaced both the headlamp units, so at least they match!!!
The car will be ready to collect tomorrow pm after they have given it a mechanical checkover, must admit I'm pleased with their service, maybe its because by a pure chance, its the same garage that both sold my car when it was new, and serviced it ever since.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Make sure you post some pix of the Mav when you get it back. Glad your wife is doing OK. You certainly don't need any more going wrong right now...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kiki said:
Make sure you post some pix of the Mav when you get it back. Glad your wife is doing OK. You certainly don't need any more going wrong right now...
Well, at least life is eventfull in this household!!!!
We seem to go from extreme highs to extreme lows here, indeed my life so far ( I'm only 35) can be summed as:
Been stabbed at work with a knife

Been shot at whilst at work, and that hurt!

Been arrested and put overnight in the police cells for a crime which was proved I didn't commit

Been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (Thankfully in remission at the moment)then losing my previous job because the boss said I was incapable of doing my job whilst being ill

Holding my second baby boy when he died (The most upsetting moment of our lives)

Ex girlfriend landing me in court for ££££, which skinted me

Having my Maverick bumped

And lets not forget the nights spent in the doghouse!!!
But, I'm still here, fighting my corner in the belief that life can only get better! :thumb:
What really gets to me though, is people who moan about silly, insignificant things, they should pay a visit to this household, and experience life in the fast lane ;) ;) :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You're right, camus, about all of the complaining that goes on about insignificant things. All it takes is some of the life or death issues you are dealing with to re-focus us in a hurry. I am really sorry you've had to go through so much, but also really glad you found this forum. You're special and now a member of a larger, world-wide family!

Gee whiz, don't you feel better already? :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i :clap: for you because you do what should be done, you pull up your socks and carry on!. awesome. sorry about your luck though and if i ever make a trip across the pond i might try to avoid you :angel: im just joking!.

thats one of those weird occasions where the coppers were in the right place at the right time eh!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CrashNburn said:
i :clap: for you because you do what should be done, you pull up your socks and carry on!. awesome. sorry about your luck though and if i ever make a trip across the pond i might try to avoid you :angel: im just joking!.

thats one of those weird occasions where the coppers were in the right place at the right time eh!
Ha ha, if I see another coach from work during the day, and flash headlamps / wave at it, they think I'm giving them a curse!!!
As for the police, right place and time indeed, but thankfully it was'nt this particular officer
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 4040087.jp
This brought Leeds to a standstill for most of today. :cuss: :wall:
I do occasionally have some good luck, I have won the works "Bonus ball" competition 3 times in the last 2 months, a total of £870 so far :yahoo:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another bit of good luck, picked up the maverick this evening, thankfully the dealer actually had the parts in stock, and as the car didn;t require any painting the repair was quite quick.
They have done a good job too, it has been fully valeted, and they have done a full service on it by mistake, so I got that FOC!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Maybe this'll be the turning point for you. You're due a little good fortune.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kiki said:
Thank you, Kiki, the turning point happened, I believe, when I bought the Maverick, and discovered this forum, since then life has got better overall!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Kiki said:
Thank you, Kiki, the turning point happened, I believe, when I bought the Maverick, and discovered this forum, since then life has got better overall!! :thumb:
Awwwwww...that's very kind! You know you are part of the family here! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Kiki said:
when I bought the Maverick, and discovered this forum, since then life has got better overall!! :thumb:
Probably down to me.

With regards to 'Luck', I'm a carrier. Others can catch it off me but I don't show any symptoms. :worry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts