Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to swapping the tail lights for the ones that Scooter Scott sold me..

:censor: me, easiest modification yet :yahoo:

However, at the moment I haven't got a rear fog light :doh: , still working on that one :confused:

Anyhow, here are the pictures.

How the Maverick looked at the rear...


L/H rear lights, the G.B. version is on the left.


Rear view, again, the G.B. version is on the right.


R/H rear lights, the G.B. version is on the right.


Rear view, again, the G.B. version is on the left.


And how the Maverick looks now, the O/S reverse light has now been wired up ;)


O.k., apart from the rear foglight, the other differences in the clusters are that the American ones have both a rear reflector, and the backing of the tail light housing has been modified to allow a red light to shine at the side of the car, I presume thats to satisfy some Federal law regarding side markers.

Oh, and the housing for the rear fog is 1.5 X the size of all the others, looking at the piccies will make that last staement a lot clearer.

To acheive a really harmonious rear end of the car, I'll have to get a 12S trailer socket, to match the 12N socket next to the towball, Hmmm. will need Blizzardmans help with that one :shrug: ;)

Ease of installation guide:

Ciggie count : 3 ( 2 whilst installing, 1 when standing back and admiring ;)
Coffee count : 1
Beer count : 1
Injury count : 0 :yahoo:
Weather type : light drizzle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
As the new tail-lights have got a reflector built in. Are you gonna lose the reflectors on the bumper? I would, I think it'll look even better.

How hard was it to convert to 2 reverse lights?

I was tempted to do this mod, but was gonna get a red bulb and keep the right unit as a fog light.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
Loose the reflectors, or just cover them over with some adhesive tape? ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
Looks great Camus!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,902 Posts
I think it looks great. I really like the Thule, I'm looking into one of those today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I think it looks great to. I have been looking for one of those roof racks myself, I have had some bites off of craig's list. My wife found one and got it, BUT :wall: it was one of those big cargo boxes, not what I was looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big Chris said:
As the new tail-lights have got a reflector built in. Are you gonna lose the reflectors on the bumper? I would, I think it'll look even better.

How hard was it to convert to 2 reverse lights?

I was tempted to do this mod, but was gonna get a red bulb and keep the right unit as a fog light.
I would love to remove the rear reflectors on the bumper, but they are fastened on with a bolt, so there would be a small hole to fill :mad: , but, the lenses in the lightcluster may be just too high for them to be acceptable for an MOT, need to research that one, but if I can, I will remove the bumper reflectors.

The reverse light wiring was very easy, ran 2 core wire from the n/s light, to the o/s, and used the foglight bulb holder and connector.
( Will post pictures to show what I did ASAP)

As for the rear foglight, the lens for the foglight HAS to be red, by law, so you can't get away with using a red bulb :mad: , I'm thinking of mounting the foglight under the towhitch, again will post pictures when I do this, which is going to be Saturday at the earliest hmm.

As for the mod, if you're going to keep your Maverick, Big Chris, I would highly recommend it, but you would need a matching pair of US, or possibly a Euro (German/ French etc) O/S cluster, but the euro ones don't have either the reflector, or side markers, like the Americans ones do.

I hope you can understand all that, for once I'm posting whilst stone cold sober, not started on the Timothy Taylors yet :beer: :beer: ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
:shock:



The beer gods are not amused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MadMax said:
I think it looks great. I really like the Thule, I'm looking into one of those today.
Why thanks.. :blush:

The Thule rack that I really wanted was the Xperience 828 :drool: , but the piggybank wasn't as well fed as I thought it was :doh: ;) , maybe for the future....

The one I got, though, was an absolute bargain, and I think looks good on the car, but the colour question still puzzles me, :confused: :confused:

Whats the rack on your car ??, as to be honest, it was your Tribby and of course the "No Boundries" Escapes that gave me the idea, I had been looking for a good roofrack on eBay for quite a few months, there isn't much around, as everybody seems to have gone onto the plastic roofbox coffins, which I don't like...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Big Chris said:
As the new tail-lights have got a reflector built in. Are you gonna lose the reflectors on the bumper? I would, I think it'll look even better.

How hard was it to convert to 2 reverse lights?

I was tempted to do this mod, but was gonna get a red bulb and keep the right unit as a fog light.
I would love to remove the rear reflectors on the bumper, but they are fastened on with a bolt, so there would be a small hole to fill :mad: , but, the lenses in the lightcluster may be just too high for them to be acceptable for an MOT, need to research that one, but if I can, I will remove the bumper reflectors.

The reverse light wiring was very easy, ran 2 core wire from the n/s light, to the o/s, and used the foglight bulb holder and connector.
( Will post pictures to show what I did ASAP)

As for the rear foglight, the lens for the foglight HAS to be red, by law, so you can't get away with using a red bulb :mad: , I'm thinking of mounting the foglight under the towhitch, again will post pictures when I do this, which is going to be Saturday at the earliest hmm.

As for the mod, if you're going to keep your Maverick, Big Chris, I would highly recommend it, but you would need a matching pair of US, or possibly a Euro (German/ French etc) O/S cluster, but the euro ones don't have either the reflector, or side markers, like the Americans ones do.

I hope you can understand all that, for once I'm posting whilst stone cold sober, not started on the Timothy Taylors yet :beer: :beer: ;)
Do they do small round foglamps which you could use to fill the holes where the reflectors were?

That'd be a neat solution. :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
Don't the Chinese Escapes have the foglights in the bumpers?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
Nope, they're reflectors.

The last Oldsmobile Aurora had fog lamps in the bumper covers, although they were oval-shaped, and they mounted in a recess with a tab on one side and a screw in the other. You could try to mod those in, and they're fairly cheap (around $20 each as parts). They take a #921 bulb. And it was one of the only US cars that even had rear fog lamps.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jpark said:
:shock:



The beer gods are not amused.
Oooh, 50 lashes, hmm
Would the person wearing the hood be Dasha, then ??? :whistle: :spank: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big Chris said:
camusdarrach said:
Big Chris said:
As the new tail-lights have got a reflector built in. Are you gonna lose the reflectors on the bumper? I would, I think it'll look even better.

How hard was it to convert to 2 reverse lights?

I was tempted to do this mod, but was gonna get a red bulb and keep the right unit as a fog light.
As for the rear foglight, the lens for the foglight HAS to be red, by law, so you can't get away with using a red bulb :mad: , I'm thinking of mounting the foglight under the towhitch, again will post pictures when I do this, which is going to be Saturday at the earliest hmm.

As for the mod, if you're going to keep your Maverick, Big Chris, I would highly recommend it, but you would need a matching pair of US, or possibly a Euro (German/ French etc) O/S cluster, but the euro ones don't have either the reflector, or side markers, like the Americans ones do.

I hope you can understand all that, for once I'm posting whilst stone cold sober, not started on the Timothy Taylors yet :beer: :beer: ;)
Do they do small round foglamps which you could use to fill the holes where the reflectors were?

That'd be a neat solution. :thumb:
Hey, thanks Big Man, you've given me a cracking idea, ok, will now have to consult my employers copy of the Hella catalogue..........................
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
camusdarrach said:
jpark said:
:shock:



The beer gods are not amused.
Oooh, 50 lashes, hmm
Would the person wearing the hood be Dasha, then ??? :whistle: :spank: ;)


I don't want to be around when Dasha reads that. You'll be a dung beetle when she's done.





 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

And yes Camus, I can read... :shades:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jonas1022 said:
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

And yes Camus, I can read... :shades:
Colleen said:
jonas1022 said:
And yes Camus, I can read... :shades:
I can read too, and boy are you in trouble !!! :D
Ahh, but it took you two a lot longer to mention it, though ;) ;)

As for Dasha, this could be the highlight of today..... :drool: ;) :angel:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,571 Posts
" If you are by chance reading this, why???
I await your response............ Posted at 21:07, 18th July 2008"


To see what you will come up with next. :D
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top