Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Motor Company held a 3PM conference today to announce the end of Mercury in the 4th quarter of this year. Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/02/ford ... d-lincoln/

Lincoln is to receive an expanded product line including the Eco-Boosted engine in all models. Dealers of stand alone Lincoln Mercury business are in the process of being notified.

Can anyone remember when Ford had a F-E-M-L lineup? My grandfather was a manager of such a dealership.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Wonder if they will add a new sibling in the Escape family? I like the Edge/MKX combo.
Maybe there could be an Escape/MK* combo.
Lincoln has always had some nice styling. :shades:
(Wish I was good at photoshop, I'd make one up. :( )

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm really surprised it took this long. Nothing again Mercs, but I remember some years back when I worked for a Ford dealer there was some talk then about Merc being cut off. Too bad though, Mercury was a nice middle ground between ford and Lincoln.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Wonder if Witt Lincoln will still service our lowly Escape... or have 10 year old 100,000 mile Ford F-150's on thier used car lot.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
The pssing of Mercury will be a sad day to me. Although I doubt seriously that I will/would own another. I am pretty much religated to the Ford model line up for financial reasons. :bag:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
futameca said:
Wonder if Witt Lincoln will still service our lowly Escape... or have 10 year old 100,000 mile Ford F-150's on thier used car lot.
All Lincoln Dealerships will service the Ford vehicles. The question is whether these Lincoln dealerships will stand on their own, add other brands or move/merge to a local Ford dealership. I see more of the second and third option than the first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Billyk said:
futameca said:
All Lincoln Dealerships will service the Ford vehicles. The question is whether these Lincoln dealerships will stand on their own, add other brands or move/merge to a local Ford dealership. I see more of the second and third option than the first.
I agree. I don't think Lincoln can stand on their own. They have (IMO) way overpriced versions of the Flex, Expedition, Fusion and Taurus, which are not cheap to begin. Plus they add "squared" style interior shapes, which don't add anything for me and less road feel for a more luxurious ride also not to my liking. So if Ford's plan is that wanted an more upscale place for Ford owners to go, they need to re-evaluate. Mercury was that place to me.

Too late, but I would have gotten rid of the Lincoln brand and worked up the Mercs as and "affordable" higher end vehicle. Add back a Cougar (based upon the new Mustang), I think they nailed it with the new Millan and Mariner and are strongest there, then put some real effort in the 2011 MKX (Edge) (add a diesel from Europe maybe to differentiate?). Drop the Navigator, Mountaineer and absorb/tune and make less expensive, the lincoln MKS.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ford sold off all but like 10% of Mazda. I don't think this would be approved by the higher ups at FORD Motor company.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts