Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the instrument cluster from an 08-09 Mariner compatible with the 08-09..Im a big fan of Mercury's square quage look and feel that it suits the Escape better than the Edge-style cluster. Considering I have an XLT model without info center..how will that work?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The clusters are electrically the same, but if you try to swap clusters, you should get one that has the same message center and the same year. There were slight electrical changes between the '08 and '09 models.

You might also need to stop at a Ford dealer and have them "flash" the Mariner cluster if the odometer or other functions don't work properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input..I am pretty sure all Mariner models come equipted with the message center. Wondering will that affect any readouts? I was only planning on sticking to the 2008 cluster.

·
Registered
82 Posts
jpark said:
The clusters are electrically the same, but if you try to swap clusters, you should get one that has the same message center and the same year. There were slight electrical changes between the '08 and '09 models.

You might also need to stop at a Ford dealer and have them "flash" the Mariner cluster if the odometer or other functions don't work properly.
Chances are you may not need to visit the dealer or anyone and flash the cluster to reflect the proper mileage. In my mustang, I accidentaly got some cleaner that wasnt good for plastic lenses onto the guage cluster lens which pretty much permanently clouded up the edges where it had got on it. I ended up picking up an entire guage cluster on ebay for next to nothing, thus far cheaper then just the lens from the dealer or something. When I got around to swapping it out, I have had white faces on my cluster for some time, and while they look nice during the day time, they were very annoying at dusk and dawn since everything blends together with the lights on, so I decided I would just swap the whole cluster and go back to the stock look for awhile without having to reset/recalibrate the needles by simply removing them off my cluster. Anyhow, took apart the new used cluster to see if there was some way to swap the odometer to keep the correct mileage and prevent any sort of potential tampering code in the ECU from having a different or non-matching mileage odometer installed. Sure enough, the odometer portion was right there and super easy to swap out. All it was is a circuit board with a couple chips and the actual odometer display mounted by 2 screws and a small harness that plugged into the rest of the cluster. Simply removed it from the used cluster and put mine on it, installed it in the car, and good to go. Proper mileage and all. I'd def be checking that if it were me picking up a new cluster. It would be well worth the few minutes to tear it down to see if that could be swapped as it would prevent a trip to the dealer and save some money.

The getting one from the same year MAY be something to pay attention to, but even that may be OK as well. The message center display in the cluster should only be just that, a display. I'm sure the info being fed to it is coming from the ECU or elsewhere and not built into the cluster. If the cluster has the proper harness connections and all, I bet everything will work fine. Always that small chance though since you are dealing with un-intended part combinations.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
This is 100% true. You can swap the circuit boards inside the cluster, as long as the years are the same.

While Ford used nearly identical clusters in appearance on the Fusion/Milan, Edge/MKX, and Escape/Mariner/Tribute, there were differences in the location of several warning lights and turn signals, as well as differences in the tachometer ranges.

I can't verify that all Mariners are equipped with the extra message center, but I can say that the circuit board from a basic Escape of the same year will fit inside a Mariner cluster of the same year. You'll need to mark and remove the needles, which requires some care, but it will definitely work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I still think it should be an easy 1 for 1 swap, no messing with needles or anything between the merc and esape. I would bet that simply being 08+ would be sufficient too and not even staying to the specific year too, although I cant verify that at this time.

Anyhow, about removing needles from the guages.....I can only comment on my 02 mustang as it is the only Ford I have done that with....but simply placing them back on does not work, at least for the SN95 body mustangs. This has been a subject of some debate on the boards when those were newer, as most the better white face kits required removing the needles. I don't know about the escapes, but the SN95 mustangs have sort of a diagnostic mode for the cluster you can enter, which you can cycle through cluster faults, and digital readouts of all your gauges in the odometer window, which is key for re-seating needles. Anyhow, when I did mine, being the type that likes to find stuff like that out myself when there is debate involved, I did both. After several attempts being as controlled and carefull as possible doing it without the aid of the digital readouts in the diagnostic mode, placement for all but the speedo were sufficient (albeit not quite perfect), but the speedo was just not happening. Of course with the aid of the digital readouts, everything was spot on in no time.

When it comes to the mariner and escape swap....if you have to remove the needles for anything, I wouldnt even bother changing the whole cluster out. In that case, you should be able to get away with just changing the insert for it (what you see through the lens). The location and sweep of the guages should be exactly the same, and I would guess the idiot lights and such would be too.....pretty much the same way you would as white faces and such.

my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Since I've actually dealt with removing the cluster board in these cars, I can tell you that in order to change the circuit boards or gauge faces, you need to remove the needles.

If you move the needles against their stops and mark their locations, you can put them back in exactly the same positions.

Trust me on this one, because I've done some work on my Edge, my Fusion, my 2005 Escape, and a 2007 Escape on this board.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1361

http://www.edge-central.com/viewtopic.p ... &sd=a#p122

http://www.edge-central.com/viewtopic.p ... rt=20#p297

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
I totally trust you on this one....and that one...and this and that one. :kneel:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You do realize that I can still convert the Dashariner's cluster to purple or pink, right?

:D

PS: that includes a 2009 or 2010 model, too. Hint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts