Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any state or province where a three-lane highway is (legally) separated into merging lane (right lane), travel lane (middle lane), and passing lane (left lane)?

Having read the Highway Traffic Act once a year since 2004, I know that this is absolutely false for Ontario roads. Anyone who tries to tell me this about Ontario roads gets a slap and a lesson on basic traffic rules. Any commercial non-passenger vehicle exceeding 6.5 metres in length is prohibited from travelling in the left lane. If the centre lane becomes a travel lane, which lane do trucks use to pass slow moving vehicles? Our "merging lane" is a 200 metre strip that disappears.

On a four- or five-lane highway, you are still legally required to keep to the right. However, as these lanes usually disappear or take you to another highway, the typical attitude of drivers makes it very difficult to merge into the correct lane when the fork happens. This is one case where I will skirt the law, be a daredevil, and travel in the third lane from the left even though there are more lanes to my right.

·
Registered
611 Posts
:confused: If your referring to truckers in general. In S.E. Mi. they use whatever they want. Even though, they are to stay to the right. (far right lanes) Now then, Arizona (Phoenix area) The merging lane runs out period!!! They keep shifting to the left. Found that out on our first visit there.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am referring to all vehicles. If I had to single one group out, it would be those who squat in the centre lane even though traffic in the right hand lane is going faster, and believe that the highway was designed for them to do that.

We have that constantly shifting lane structure here on one of our highways, the 401. It is present in the collector lanes and is designed to filter traffic to the right, in order to exit. Through traffic travels in the express lanes.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Why do you Americans make life so complicated....... :shrug:
Over here, the rule is that you should drive in the left hand side lane, unless..

You are driving...

a/ a taxi

b# driving using a sat nav device

See, us Brits do things simply :)P :lol: ;)

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello camus. It is the same down under as in britain. Unless we are overtaking ,the road rules state that car motorists are to stay in the left hand lane. :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the same as our rules. Some people just like to invent their own laws. :roll:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
We have truly awful lane discipline in Britain. Far too many people join a 3 lane motorway, slip into the centre lane and will happily drive to their destination without ever chnging lane, regardless of the fact the inside lane may be completely deserted. :rant:

Undertaking is illegal, but I'll do it to prove a point. That, or I'll sweep from the inside lane into the outside lane right behind them, then sweep back again right in front of them. Hopefully it'll wake them from their stupor. :spank:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Someone in the "faster" left lane that is actually going slower than the flow of traffic used to commonly be refered to as a "left lane bandit". Now I think everyone just calls them what they are "stupid", or some reasonable facsimilie thereof. :shrug:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
2,000 posts! WOW! I will be allright. Am quite aware that i can not catch up. Have been left behind in the dust. HMMM! Might have to tune up or tweak the four cylinder. :) ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts