Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner


1713 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  snowfreek
I'm moving to Canada in June-my 2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 was purchased in Ohio, U.S.

My question is, can I purchase a new instrument cluster using the metric system and have a dealer instal it in my Tribute. I'm aware that a qualified dealer has to instal it to certify the distance travelled.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Why would you do that? It already has the speed marked in KPM on the speedo. I think it maybe more important to have the DRL turned on. That may depend upon the Provence's or Canada's requirements for transplants and vehicle's. I'd move there first, and find out what it takes to pass certification, then modify the Tribute. It could be that it's old enough that you don't have to do anything to it to get a tag and safety inspection.
It's a personal preference. If it were me, I would just leave it. Like Jonas said, you already have both markings on the speedo.

If you're moving permanently, I recommend contacting the Ministry of Transportation of the province you'll be going to, so you can get the proper paperwork for bringing your Tribute over.
A lot of dealers in this area sell used Escapes and Tribbies imported from the US as they can usually put a pretty good mark up on them when they get here, so there doesn't appear to be to much of an issue getting them registered. This site is worth a read, lots of links to the related agencies as well. The suv section on the admissible vehicles page doesn't seem to show a whole lot of problems unless the vehicle is less than 3 years old.
Hope this helps.
It is actually illegal in Ontario to swap Imperial for Metric guages or the other way around. Leave them alone....cops in Ontario are not as radar happy as they are in the states anyway so just go with the flow.

The speed limit is only 100km/hr on expressways (62mph) but 120-130 (75-80mph) is the regular flow of traffic and the cops generally know that...except on the 30th of the month, of course....

The only thing you may have to do to an Escape is get Daytime Running Lights fitted as they have been law in Canada since 1989. But that may only apply to cars being imported by Canadians, not being brought in by an American. You will have to get it safety checked to get plates but that is no different than US DMV inspections.
2001-2004 Escapes and Tributes require a separate DRL module (2005 and newer require only an SJB programming mod).

I'm very sure that most Ford dealers in Canada either stock the module or can have it in stock in only a few days.

If you really want the Canadian gauge faces, it's actually easier to find a Canadian cluster on ebay and swap the gauge faces. The calibrations are the same.
I can understand how anoying it is to use the smaller numbers of the neighbour's system on a long run... i would find one on ebay too. Daytime running lights are a must, whatever country you live in, in my opinion. Winter does make DRL a must. (you understand by seeing people better when weather is crappy.) I do recommand good winter tyres too. (in some provinces like Québec, it is mandatory from dec.15 to march 15. like all scandinavian countries ...) :thumb:
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.