Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are P235/70R16 Michelin Latitude Tour Tires good tires? becuase a friend said he would sell them to me for my ford escape, $100.00 for the pair. He had them from his escape, which he crashed. He was able to keep them.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
As tires go, they should be excellent. Presumably, they weren't damaged. Price is good, unless they are seriously worn or damaged.
However, why a pair? You should make sure all4 tires you are using are at least compatible (size, wear rating, tread type, etc.), and preferably identical. Were you thinking of buying 2 more the same?
If you're not sure how to compare them with your other tires, better see your mechanic. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea they only have 500 miles. I was gonna buy two more of the same tire . they came off a 2010 Escape. I have a 2004 same wheel size.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Michelin Latitue Tour is a fantastic tire as far as I'm concerned. It's probably one of the nicest OEM tires I've ever experienced.

If you want to compare it to other tires in this class: Tire Rack - Tire Info, Catagory Ranking Results

So far, I have accumulated a little over 8,000 miles on our Escape with these tires and have no complaints at all. They ride quiet, have plenty of traction and do admirably in poor weather conditions such as rain and snow. These tires are well worth the cost, and for you, a great buy at the price your friend has offered.

·
Registered
836 Posts
sleeve said:
The Michelin Latitue Tour is a fantastic tire as far as I'm concerned. It's probably one of the nicest OEM tires I've ever experienced.

If you want to compare it to other tires in this class: Tire Rack - Tire Info, Catagory Ranking Results

So far, I have accumulated a little over 8,000 miles on our Escape with these tires and have no complaints at all. They ride quiet, have plenty of traction and do admirably in poor weather conditions such as rain and snow. These tires are well worth the cost, and for you, a great buy at the price your friend has offered.
I will second that. Came stock on my 2010. They are quiet on the road, great in wet weather and snow and seem to last. 12k miles so far and they still look brand new.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The hybrid form users say they love them too, excellent price on a pair, I think tire rack lists them at $184ea?
They're also a LRR tire, supposed to increase mpg's, they are lighter than most tires, 29# ea, vs I think the contis were 35# or more (the LRR version, the std version might even be heavier)

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
We have them on our 09 Mariner Hybrid and very pleased with them so far. I have somewhere around 7500 miles on them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think the Michelin Latitude Touring is a great three-season tire. They are good on dry pavement, great in rain, AWFUL in snow. I had so many issues last winter with our Escape fishtailing and losing traction it wasn't even funny. If you don't deal with snow at all, I would recommend them in a heartbeat. They also wear pretty well...we have 25,000 miles on our Escape and the tires are nowhere close to the wear bars.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna be with Beagle on this one. In the snow, I think the tires are horrid. If anything, the 4WD is the tire's saving grace. Most attempts at juvenille snow drifting usually result in ... well, nothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tang said:
Yeah, I'm gonna be with Beagle on this one. In the snow, I think the tires are horrid. If anything, the 4WD is the tire's saving grace. Most attempts at juvenille snow drifting usually result in ... well, nothing.
Well, now you have me a bit concerned. I got these tires as OEM equipment on my 2010 Limited 4 wheel drive. I've only got 2,700 miles of summer driving on them but have been quite pleased so far. What I'm concerned about is the comments on poor snow performance. I'm planning on using the Escape to tow my snowmobiles in the winter. So are those of you having problems in snow driving front drivers or 4WD?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
An extra set of snow tires is always something to consider if extensive winter driving is in someones shcedule. I have a set myself and change tires every November and April.
They make all the difference in the world and I think it is a good investment.

·
Registered
384 Posts
ratman6161 said:
Tang said:
Well, now you have me a bit concerned. I got these tires as OEM equipment on my 2010 Limited 4 wheel drive. I've only got 2,700 miles of summer driving on them but have been quite pleased so far. What I'm concerned about is the comments on poor snow performance. I'm planning on using the Escape to tow my snowmobiles in the winter. So are those of you having problems in snow driving front drivers or 4WD?
Mine is a 4WD. The back end slides out really easily and it slips and slides everywhere, they are HORRIBLE in snow. I even got it STUCK, and it's 4WD! My 2002 Cavalier, on the other hand, has good tires on it (Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds) and it went like a banshee no matter what was thrown at it. The Michelins are a nice three season tire, but if you are going to drive in snow...get something else or get dedicated winter tires.

·
Registered
574 Posts
BurghBeagle said:
Mine is a 4WD. The back end slides out really easily and it slips and slides everywhere, they are HORRIBLE in snow. I even got it STUCK, and it's 4WD! My 2002 Cavalier, on the other hand, has good tires on it (Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds) and it went like a banshee no matter what was thrown at it. The Michelins are a nice three season tire, but if you are going to drive in snow...get something else or get dedicated winter tires.
Most reviews on Tire Rack are positive for this tire in the snow....but did you post a similar review there? :) It looks familiar.

NO all season tire, 4wd or not, will perform well in the snow. They can be acceptable, but compared to a snow tire they simply cannot compete. The decision to use snow tires is based on where you drive - for example, in the Toronto area, a good set of all seasons will usually get you through anything since they salt the roads to death within minutes of snow falling, and we really don't get a lot of snow typically. I use snows on my wife's car but will go with the all seasons on the Escape - see below. AND, any tire, all season or dedicated winter, sucks in slush, which is more typical around here than ice or snow, so the winter tire advantage isn't really there.

Mine are the Michelin Cross Terrains - the 17" option. My brother in law has them on his Grand Cherokee and says they are very good in snow. I find them pretty good on the highway as well. Maybe worth considering, or the LTX from Michelin as well.

The Latitude Tours are low rolling resistence - like the Goodyear Fuel Max. Improved mileage perhaps but the trade off is a harder compound (read: worse winter traction).

Try the TripleTreads, Nokian WR2, Pirelli 4 season, or the new Hankook 4 season for a better winter ride and no switching of tires (but probably a 1 mpg penalty all around)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts