Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer was destroyed by Best Buy a few months back. My buddy fixed it for 30.00 and Best Buy charged me 400.00 to wreck it. My microsoft word program is missing something and the patch I keep finding to fix it isn't working. So is there anyway to make Microsoft Works my defult program, or do i need to open all the doc up in note pad and save them as works?

Thanks. As you all know I lack PC knowledge and patience :rockon: :taz:
Thanks....

·
Registered
280 Posts
What version of Windows do you have? You can do a Google search for something like "Windows [your version] file associations" to get web pages telling you how to have .doc files open in Works. You can do this with any file type, too. So you can change which program opens .mp3 files, for example.

I have Windows Vista and so could help you with that. I don't remember where the settings are for Windows XP and previous.

What's wrong with your version of Word?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks.
when I try to open a word doc. I get a word.exe error message and a then I'll do the patch. after the patch is installed it says microsoft word is missing exe file

so every time I try the patch it just states the same error message.
I'm currently running XP

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You can right-click any *.doc file and you should see an Open With option. At the bottom of that menu, there should be an entry to Choose Program... - click that, and in the dialog that opens, you will see a checkbox at the bottom that says something like "Always use this program to open files like this". Now select Microsoft Works from the list and click OK.

That will assign all *.DOC files to open in Works, but the better solution would be to reinstall Office. Patches are just security fixes and rarely fix a missing file problem.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
YUP REINSTALL. Unless you know exactly what execute file it is that is missing.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now there lies the problem. Best Buys refused to reinstall Word and they are the ones that loaded everything and damaged everything on the PC when my wife bought it and took it back for repair. :censor:

My wife put me on restriction and Best Buy won't allow me back after I had some words with the Manager. I had fun but apparently it was not a good experience for the manager and my wife. I have everything opening in works now so i probably won't see the error message any longer. If I need to get a word document opened I'll post the exact error message.
thanks for the help and advice..

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Word to the wise. Stay out of big box stores with a "Technical Support Staff".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts