Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

my brother in law is gonna call me back today, he has this on his lot, its an 04 thats absolutely loaded. and only 90,000km. ive driven it cause he had it at his wedding a few months ago, it drives like a dream lol.

and i wont be leaving here, i know i havnt posted a lot lately, but ive been busy. i still stop by and lurk lol.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Silverados are very good trucks. You thinking of trading the Escape for it?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Good luck!

:thumb:

And I hope you do stick around!

:D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, my wife loves her car too much, so they escape would have to go. the only bad thing is the market has got for a crap, so my escape lost way too much, so im gonna take a hit on it.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
That's a nice truck!!! :thumb: :thumb:

And you better stick around or we'll hunt you down and drag you back!! :D

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I won't even mention the tink.

:shock:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
jpark said:
I won't even mention the tink.

:shock:
Or the dung beatle? :doh:

Nice looking truck. You might ought to pay for a Carfax on that truck. Some things are too good to be true, if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I forgot to mention that one of my nephews has a 2003 GMC version of that truck. He likes it quite well, it isn't as frugal with the gas as the old F-150 he replaced it with however. He just bought it before gas took a jump last year, so there were some screems and shouts from the corner... :fan:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
carfax report is not needed, my brother in law is the sales man lol.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
So did your brother in law own the truck?

People will hide lots of things, even from their friends or their car dealer/car salesman. Could have been involved in an accident that the dealership, and your brother in law don't know about. But you might like to know about it. Maybe was all but totalled at one time, underwater or burned out. Who knows? Admittedly it's unlikely it was a Katrina survivor, but do you know that? Spend the money, or get the dealership to show you a Car Fax that they ran.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the reason i know it was not a katrina survivor, is because my brother sold it to the original owner, and after the lease took it back and sold the guy on a new truck lol. but it does not look good for the trade because the escape is not worth crap.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Do you suppose you could advertise yours locally and sell for more than what they would give you on trade in? At least enough to get you into the pickup?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats the only way i can do it, so im going to order a new rear wiper motor and link kit for it, then polish it up like new and sell it privately. byt if i have to keep it for a few months its not a big deal, there will be plenty of trucks sitting on the lots lol.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If I where you, I'd stick with the Escape at the moment, as you know exactly what the Escape is like, mechanically etc, and what it's running costs are.
Is it wise to change for a pick up truck with higher running costs, purchase price, and an even more questionable resale value???
In other words, given the present economic climate, is it a good decision to get yourself even deeper "in debt"??

Must admit, it does look a good pickup truck :confused: :shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I think an unloaded V8 Silverado gets similar mileage to the Escape, 20+ MPG if you drive it lightly. I have heard reports of up to 24 MPG from an F-150.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hi camusdarrach and CrashNburn. That ' Siverado' is a good looking pick up truck. With all due respect, i hope CrashNburn is not offended ,but i can relate to the analysis which camus submitted. It could happen, that extra finance involved will be a burden. I am not saying it will be a struggle, but it could induce restrictions.

For example one of my bosses, indicated that pros and cons are involved. There is the current economic situation. The toyota rep did not perform a trade in value on my escape. I told him my intent, on the Hilux SR5 Diesel was tentative but not definite. I requested him to do a calculation, as per total price on a " Hilux" fully accessorised.

The extras i would have opted for were: Five " Cooper suretrac tires". Tailgate and traybed liner. A hard tonneau cover that can be locked. A big heavy duty bullbar. Pair of " Lightforce HID240" spotlights. An in car navigational unit. Two genuine lambswool seat covers. Driver, passenger and rear window to have dark tint. The hilux SR5 is to be an automatic gearbox model. ( I am a lazy driver and just adore the luxury of auto trannys). :lol:

Those driving/ fog lights are factory standard on a hilux. Sidesteps ( running boards) are standard. The drivers seat, has seat height adjustment which is factory fitted, but this is only for the SR5 model. I am not a tall person, and i think my height is classed as average. So with the lambswool seat cover, plus that " Seat height" adjuster i would have been set. :)

Approximate price, for a Hilux SR5 diesel dual cab ute, from an adelaide toyota dealership without add ons, is about $52,000 with government fees. So after the sales rep, performed my accessories calculation, he indicated the price would be about $75,000. Because it is a commercial vehicle, the registration cost would be high. At the moment ,this current economic crisis has taken an effect on jobs. It also includes australia.

In context of my work, things have become quiet. It is because of this scenario, that i could not risk trading in on the diesel hilux. Far too much of a gamble. So henceforth i will be prudent and keep the escape. Whats that phrase? " You can't have everything" I fortunately do not have any major commitments. By the same token ,have no desire to stress out the budget.

I could have traded in, but then the Hilux loan would have imposed a limit ,on other items which i enjoy in context of lifestyle. For example i would have to give that, " 17 inch screen toshiba Qosmio gaming laptop" a definitely cancelled non purchase. Considering i have not commited to a hilux loan, this is exactly why i now have that " Qosmio gaming notebook". I took notice that the " Qosmio" is cheaper overseas. But for australia they are about $4,000, or something like that.

This is why i take note of ' pros and cons' and " You can't have everything". There is no way, i want to risk being retrenched and being stuck with the hilux loan. A computer is miles cheaper than a new car. My escape is the 06 assembly year. She is still a baby with only 86,000 kms on speedo. The escape has a long way to go yet. Truly amazing how economical my four pot engine is.

Hope i do not sound, like a party pooper or an ego deflater CrashNburn. My apology if you feel annoyed or offended. Hope you don't mind camusdarrach, but to summarise i agree with your perception of current issues. :) I do sympathise and relate to how CrashNburn feels about a new car. Had my heart and mind set on that diesel dual cab ute. But i performed calculations, and knew that my budget envelope was being pushed too far.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im not offended lol, i posted here because i respect the opinions of other people. i will not be buying that truck, mainly because a loss of $5000 on my escape is too much negative equity to bury in a newer truck, im going to up my payments on the escape, and see if i can get it to where the value of the truck is what i owe, and then it will be good bye escape hello brand new truck. i can afford the higher payments, but why make a payment on a truck, and at the same time be paying off my escape thats at the dealers lol.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Good idea crash! I agree with you buddy.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
The financially best thing to do is pay off the trucklett, then drive it till it's worth nothing and won't run any longer. Buying a new or used truck with a new book of payments is only assuming new debt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts