Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Best I have gotten is 27 MPG, 2003 3.0 L FWD.

Only modifications are a K&N drop-in filter and a non-existent intake past the airbox. Both were done for water ingestion rather than MPG, but may help with that, too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can get 29 MPG on the highway with no problems. If I slow down from 70 MPH to 60 MPH I get 33 MPG.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2005 3.0 AWD (full-time "intelligent 4WD"), no mods: We consistently get 23 MPG highway on trips (calculated the old-fashioned way by dividing miles driven by gallons added). I know that using the same pump at the same station is the most accurate way, but I always fill until the second time that the pump shuts off, and the sheer number of times that I've come up with about 23 mpg tells me that it's pretty accurate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got my Escape ('01 2WD stock), but I'm seeing 18.5 on mostly city driving (Los Angeles). I did about 260 miles before the empty light came on, and filled the tank with 14 gallons at the gas station. Once I run a few more tanks and get a consistent average going, I'm planning to do a few MPG-oriented mods to see if it helps at all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
When I drove cross country in February, I averaged 23mpg from Cali to Kentucky. This was at an average of 69mph as verified by the Garmin Nuvi I was using. That was mostly Hwy. In the city, going off my little dash thing it says 20mpg usually unless I do some spirited driving.

2008 3.0L V6 4-speed auto w/4wd

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Add this to the collective... from our recent vacation. 2005 3.0 V6 4WD Auto.

Best gas mileage: ----- 27.8 mpg and the next tank was 27.2. This was driving through Wyoming.
Worst gas mileage: --- 20.6 mpg, this was tootling around Denver metro for a few days.
The overall view is this:
23.1 - San Diego > Vegas
22.3 - Vegas > Beaver Utah
21.5 - Beaver > Salt Lake City Utah
23.7 - SLC > Rexburg Idaho
24.3 - Rexburg > Dubouis Wyoming
27.8 - Dubouis > Douglas Wyoming
27.2 - Douglas > Burns Wyoming
20.6 - Burns > Denver
25.4 - Denver > Raton New Mexico
26.9 - Raton > Roswell NM
23.4 - Roswell > Carlsbad NM
25.1 - Carlsbad > Las Cruses NM
24.3 - Las Cruses > Tucson AZ
Un-recorded Tucson (got lazy towards the of the trip I suppose) > Yuma > San Diego.
Trip average was 24.5 mpg

Highest per gallon price was San Diego of course, Shell $3.15
Lowest: drum roll ........... Tuscon Circle K, $2.11

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I want to know how KC5ZRQ got 33 MPG because I haven't gotten anything higher than 26 MPG yet. A 65-70 MPH/650 mile trip from Minneapolis to Detroit (with three passengers and luggage) resulted in a 25.4 average MPG, but I discovered that the lid of the intake and the rubber intake hose were kinda loose.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
What size is your shoe? JK!

I consisently get way better mileage than my wife, even using the cruise control. Go figure. Same SUV, Car, or pickup and I can get 10-15% better everytime. :shrug: I guess it's just driving style.

Sometimes it's the temperature, the weather, the wind or just a different road surface. Maybe some or all of it plus the difference in tires and vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Well, you two are from Texas. I'm from Michigan and in Minnesota right now. Hrmmm

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I think my best mileage was just under 24 mpg on a 700 mile trip from NJ to Kentucky for an Escape FunRun about 5 years ago. 20+ mpg trips are few and far between for me. I usually get 18-20 mpg on trips that are mostly highway. My best recent mileage was around 20.3 on 200 mile round trip from Northern NJ to Bangor, PA. 95% of that trip is highway or country roads. I noticed a fairly drastic drop of around 2-3 mpg when I switched tires from the Conti's to my Forteras with Silent Armor about 3-1/2 years ago... Around town (stop and go every 2-4 blocks), I get around 14-15 mpg in the summer and between 12-14 in the winter... :cry:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
ophiruchus said:
I want to know how KC5ZRQ got 33 MPG because I haven't gotten anything higher than 26 MPG yet. A 65-70 MPH/650 mile trip from Minneapolis to Detroit (with three passengers and luggage) resulted in a 25.4 average MPG, but I discovered that the lid of the intake and the rubber intake hose were kinda loose.
I would like to know too.

I have 08 v6 AWD, besides the KN flat air filter the engine is bone stock.

17- city
23 - hiway

AT BEST

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
The 2008 3.0L is the old 3.0L engine before they changed the intake/header setup, so your mileage figures should be between mine and the old Escape. Aerodynamic adjustments should make your mileage better than the older Escapes' figures.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Indeed it changed but by what parameters? Thats a huge difference for intake and header "improvement". Changing any other car's intake and header doesnt give us that outcome. maybe just little more HP and possible mileage... I would change all that for 33 mpg :play:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Apparently swapping out a Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L's header for one from the 3.4L Pontiac Grand Am or Impala will result in +15 bhp. That's what I've been told by a friend

Last tank 16.4mpg :hyst:

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 2003 Tribute V6 got 26 on the hwy - back when they sold real gasoline all over. I no longer own it and the gasoline now has up to 10% ethanol around here. Running gas with ethanol in my Escape I get 23 on average. When I drive and buy gas in rural areas it goes up almost 2 mpg.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
1X4WDEscape,

That sounds about right! Gasohol is no favor to the enviorment or the consumer. 10% Ethanol gets you a cut of about 10% on the mileage. Same for me and the F-150, Tribute or the Mustang. Real gasoline = good mileage, Ethanol = Bad mileage. :bang:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts