Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here it is - my first real post here.

I am going from a Minivan (Honda Odyssey) to an Escape in a couple of months. I have decided on the Escape for a number of reasons, but some opinion from current drivers - especially 09 and 10 drivers - would be helpful before the final purchase.

I am ditching the Odyssey for 2 reasons - way too big (2 kids, no dog, etc) and an absolute glutton at the gas pump. It is almost as bad as my 95 Explorer was. We had a 97 CRV for many years (traded on the Ody) and loved it. The new CRV however....no. That is one dull car.

So - the big question is - 4 or 6 cyl? The 6 is my choice, but I don't want to get into the same MPG disaster as the Ody. I drive about 20 miles each way to work, mostly freeway but some stop-and-go and a bit of city. You could say it is "mixed". The Ody is averaging 18mpg in winter and closer to 20mpg in summer - blame winter gas and snow tires. The Ody shines on the open road at 26-28mpg, but most cars can do that.

I found my 4 banger CRV to be gutless, but I know the 2.5 Escape is pretty good. I drove both, and could live with both, but the 6 is definately nicer. Towing isn't a huge concern but it will be loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage a few times a year. But is there a huge MPG penalty? I am Canadian and we are still paying close to $4 for a gallon of gas, so it is a consideration (even though we have so much oil...go figure?). The Ody isn't bankrupting me but I'd like to spend less at the pump.

FYI, I will be getting 4WD

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Welcome to the City and congrats on your decision to get an Escape!!! :yahoo:
Before my Mariner (V6) I had an Explorer and when I switched over I saved a ton at the pump! I average 18-19 mpg but others here with the V6 have averaged higher. But I don't have 4WD which will affect your mpg. There are members here who have the 4 cyl. and are happy with it. My advice is to test drive them both and see what you think.
Let us know what you decide!! :beer:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I did check that thread but I just didn't get the "opinion" part - people on this forum seem so diplomatic and nice compared to Odyclub I couldn't get an answer!

I have driven them both and could live with either. Just wondering the "real world" experience with either version, in 4WD specifically. Leaning towards the 2.5 AWD mainly because that seems to represent the majority of models out there (both new and lightly used), at least in this area (Niagara) but would consider a V6 if there was a good deal - but only if it didn't put me back as an OPEC slave like the Odyssey does.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I traded a 2001 Ford Windstar minivan for my 2008 Escape and I noticed a pretty decent difference at the pumps, the Escape was much better (cheaper) to fill up! I have the V6 but I do not have the AWD. I love the V6 and I am glad I went with it, it is just nice to know you have that little extra power there if and when you should need it!

I think you will definitely save money with the Escape over the minivan at the gas pumps whether you get the V6 or not so I guess it just comes down to personal preference. Not sure if that helps you at all but that's my .02!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nolescape said:
I traded a 2001 Ford Windstar minivan for my 2008 Escape and I noticed a pretty decent difference at the pumps, the Escape was much better (cheaper) to fill up! I have the V6 but I do not have the AWD. I love the V6 and I am glad I went with it, it is just nice to know you have that little extra power there if and when you should need it!

I think you will definitely save money with the Escape over the minivan at the gas pumps whether you get the V6 or not so I guess it just comes down to personal preference. Not sure if that helps you at all but that's my .02!!
Sounds good - the Windstars are easier on the wallet than the Odysseys...so this is sounding like a real option.

I figure the AWD is about a 1mpg penalty all around.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
kmoose said:
Thanks - I did check that thread but I just didn't get the "opinion" part - people on this forum seem so diplomatic and nice compared to Odyclub I couldn't get an answer!
:thumb: :thumb:

Only diplomatic and nice ppl allowed in the City. :D

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I was driving a Ford Aerostar minivan and it was getting about 18 mpg. Then we bought an 08 Escape. I got as much as 24.8 mpg. All city/country roads.

We upgraded the tires to the Goodyear Fortera tripletreads and lost a couple of mpg. Well worth it though as the Continentals are crap !

The Escape is the V6 and definitely has some spunk to it !! I'm now driving an 09 Mariner Hybrid and hubby is driving the Escape. It will get up and go too, but the Escape is quicker. I remember driving the Escape after I had been driving the Mariner for a good while. I applied the same amount of pressure on the gas pedal as I had been doing in the Mariner and took right off ! :lol:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've owned no minivans but a Ford Ranger 4X4 and 3 Santa Fe's and the Escape has been the best on mileage and so far I've had no problems as far as maintenance. On all the rigs I just followed the service manuals and they were all sold at approx 200,000 miles with exception to the Ranger. my wife will not part with her 4X4. My Escape is my favorite, I have the V6 XLT with some mods I did myself. I think one can not go wrong with the Escape as long as it's taken care of...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone - made my decision to at least try for a V6 (it's all about the deal, isn't it?) easier. A couple of MPG traded for oompf is worth it....

On those tripletreads - are they any good on these vehicles? Tried them on the CRV and they were horrid - even worse than the OE Bridgestone Duellers. Also a poor fit on the Odyssey - too noisy and floaty.

I went with the Nokian WR2 on the CRV and they were unstoppable in all weather, and virtually no difference in dry road handling, MPG, summer wear, etc. They are rated for 100,000km (60K miles) and we got a little over 80,000km before deciding to swap them - they were down to about 4/32".

But this isn't a tire thread....so I digress. Thanks for all the warm welcomes. :peace:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
it all depends on what you want to use the Escape for. i do a lot of off-roading and daily driving so i went with the Firestone Destination AT and love them. I've been using them since they came out..Low noise and great grip all around..

·
Registered
467 Posts
hi!

I just get a v6 awd 2010 escape and traded in a windstar 2001 3.8l and yes the escape cost less in gas than the windstar
but for you to know, i'm getting about 325 km with a full tank of about 50 litres. (about 15l / 100km) I think that i will get about 10 - 11 liter / 100 km in summer...

The cold weather, winter tires does not help the gas consumption and i hope to get better than that in summer. But my escape has now 2400km and i will not get his best mpg till it's getting about 10,000 km.

I've got the v6 mostly because of towing a pop up trailer (about 2000 lbs loaded) and i don't do much milleage with the car
( about 10,000 - 12'000 km a year) i'm at about 4 km from my job...

So if you're doing a lot of miles and doesnt require a v6 to tow, you sure can get a L-4 even an hybrid (that would be choice choice if gone with the 4)

good luck choosing...

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you really want to compare, just look at the city figure between the I4 and V6 in the 4WD configurations [in terms of MPG]. That is the best way to determine how much difference there is. The V6 4WD is what I wanted but cost does play a factor sometimes.

In real world conditions the I4 4WD does fine with 2 people riding in the car. With a trunk full of gear the sluggishness is a bit more noticeable for me. But I don't really mind. The 4 cylinder is perfectly competent as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I went with the 4 cylinder autobox. Very spunky, not fast, fuel efficient and reliable. I like that combo.

You have to try them both out, it is a heavy little beast imo, but not overly so. ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I went with the 4 cylinder, coming off a 2006 Ford Explorer V6.

However most of my driving is city driving, so the 4 cylinder is all I need. When on the highway the 4 cylinder gives off plenty of power and it is fairly easy to merge into traffic on short on-ramps.

As many have mentioned, it is probably a personal preference decision!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm getting 13 with my new Aspen 2wd Hemi. Is that good? :hyst:

Seriously, if MPG are your main reason for trading, then go with the 2.5. I have not driven the new 2.5 nor 3.0. I had the previous 2.3 & 3.0. In those cases, the V6 was a no-brainer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
at 95 cents/ L, that equals only $3.40 us/gallon...... so I think your sentiment of $4/ gallon gas in Canada/Ontario is a little off....

just filled up at .84 and that is about 3/gallon after all conversions...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I multiplied by 4.54, not 3.78.

But it is still $1 more per gallon than I paid in Erie, PA over the weekend. :shrug:

Drove a 4 cyl Escape again tonight - no 6cyl on my local lot?!?!?! Guy at the dealer in Hamilton says that he figures 80% of what they sell are 4 cyl, and split about 50/50 awd to fwd. 4 cyl felt perfectly adequate in all conditions and seemed to have about the same pickup as my Odyssey (3.5 6cyl ). I actually thought it was nice and quiet compared to the 2010 CRV I was driving when my Ody was getting a new transmission. Thank God that thing is leased.

Does the Escape really tip the scales at 4300lb? That's what is indicated on Edmunds, yet Automobile Mag pegs it at 3500lbs. If it really is 4300, You'd never know it based on the 4 banger's acceleration. That's only a couple of hundred pounds lighter than my Odyssey.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts