Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got an engine misfire #6. why cant it be 1 2 or 3?? im going to go and buy a set of spark plugs and swap them out then put the coil on the front so i can see if its just a bad plug or i need a coil. any of you guys that frequent your local pick a part feel free to grab me 2 coils. i will give you $50cdn plus shipping. the 1 and only yard here doesnt have crap for my escape. of course this causes the escape to run like a bag of hammers, causing a rich condition bank 2.

im lucky that have a place to work. only problem is i need to find someone who will go to the shop with me cause were not supposed to be in there by ourselves.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
456 are the "good" coils. I don't have a diagram handy at the moment, but I think cylinder 6 is the driver's side, at the front.

What spark plugs do you have in there? I originally installed a set of ACs but the coil packs didn't like those at all. Misfire went away with Motorcraft coppers (AGSF32 I think), which I plan to run until the original platinum replacement interval.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Squishy said:
456 are the "good" coils. I don't have a diagram handy at the moment, but I think cylinder 6 is the driver's side, at the front.
The repair manual I have states...... Fire wall on passenger side >1 2 3
Front from passenger side >4 5 6
OBD code, should have been P0306

·
Registered
611 Posts
PollKat said:
Squishy said:
The repair manual I have states...... Fire wall on passenger side >1 2 3
Front from passenger side >4 5 6
OBD code, should have been P0306
After rereading your post...
CrashNburn said:
.......... causing a rich condition bank 2.....
Check the MAF sensor,vacum leak? Do you use a K&N filter? (oil my have caused the MAF to fail)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
K & N has caused that before, I should have recalled that one. :doh: Clean your filter, lightly oil, let set for one day or even two. Wipe off everything inside your air intake tube with a soft dry cotton rag. Very gently Q-Tip clean the little MAF wire. Reset you puter, you know, unplug the battery :) . Should be good to go. :thumb: Unless like Squishy said you have aftermarket plugs. Then all bets are off... ;-|

That's not me being a know-it-all, it's just what Bullitt owners do with their K & N filters to resolve the K & N oil issue.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya, i would use a coil from a junk yard. if i was still near home i would go and grab 3 off one EMT lol.

and i was too lazy to hook up the transmission flushing machine, and had too many other tasks that day. ive got my mind set on a 2010 F150. so i just need to keep this thing running till i got the cash saved up for a nice down payment.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Nothing wrong with recycling parts from a dead car into a usable car. Like the man just reminded us: Reduce, reuse, recycle.

My F-150 is what most people would consider pristine. :roll: It isn't, but I get plenty of positive comments on it. I think I have four or maybe five Junk Yard finds on it. And nobody seems to notice the difference. :shrug: I do. :thumb: I have probably saved a couple maybe three hundred dollars with reused parts. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive built safe cars using junk yard parts. lights, fenders, axles, starters, motors, trannys, seats, windshields.. the list is endless. but those days are long gone. i moved far away from my favorite yard. they used to let me go in a pick my own parts. even borrow the torch cars, and flip cars over with the forklift for me. it was playing there once in a while. one of my buddies still works there, but i dont get home too often anymore.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
depending on the item you can get 30 days to a year.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
misfire is back, and the light came on. tomorrow night i will go get the engine computer from a buddy and read it again to see if the miss switched with the coil rearrangement.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Quick and dirty check if the misfire is constant (like mine eventually was) is to pull the connector from the suspect coil. If engine vibration gets worse (or still exhibits sign of a miss) then try another coil.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i might be picking up the diagnostic tool tonight, my buddy called and said the one at his shop will let me kill each coil individually. they apparently just got the updates for it, so i will be able to read all the parameters that the computer will transfer. i suspect that i will get P0303 for my code as i swapped the coils across from each other. (last time was P0306). hopefully we have some nice weather this weekend so i dont have to drive all the way up to work just to swap the coil out. :lightning:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so my diagnostics was correct. i will be ordering the coil tomorrow morning. and apparently i looked at the firing order backwards. cause i expected misfire on #3, and i have it on #1 LoL. i will take that one out without removing the intake i guess.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
stupid rain. now i have to drive all the way to my shop or swap the coil in the rain...... errrr :lightning:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.