Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
While I can see replay being used for catches (like the one in the 1st game of the series) and close plays at the bases, I can't see it being used to call balls & strikes. I saw an interview with Berkman after the game and he said the umpires strike zone was messed up in that he wasn't calling the outside corner, but he was doing that consistently all night and that was why he laid off that pitch. I didn't see most of the game. I turned it on at the end but, from what I saw, there were a few pitches on the outside corner that weren't called. So long as the umps are consistent, I don't usually have a problem with them. It's up to the batters to figure out how he's calling the game. My problem is when they seem to be calling the corners inconsistently or based on who's on the mound. Some pitchers just seem to get the 'benefit of the doubt'...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
The inconsistencey is part of the beauty of the game. Nothing and nobody is perfect. If they were to use the replay to call the balls and strikes, then the folks would grumble that the observation camera has one angle at one stadium and a different angle at another stadium... We have issues with that now for the calls about Home Runs. Some angles are blocked on certain plays and others are not. :bill: Or maybe even the camera's veiw is too distant. Whatever :bill:

The human element is the inconsistent factor, and it's just part and parcel of the umpires life. People are far more mobile than any camera :yes: . Go with the umpires, they are right there! I agree, they aren't always consistent, they are human. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts