Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few years ago, I came up with a theory that the level of jackassery is directly proportional to population density - that the more people you live around, the more people you would have to care about and eventually you just give up. It turns out that science backs it up with the awesomely named Monkeysphere number - which is 150 for humans. Basically, we can think about 150 people as "real people" until we start to consider them as objects. How you might say "Hi" to your family and co-workers, but ignore the bus driver or garbage man because you view them as "the thing that takes me places" and "the thing that takes the trash away."

I wonder if there is a way to "re-wire" the Monkeysphere. I have no problem considering consequences to others for almost every action I make, but I also find myself emotionally distant. Maybe that's the trade-off for bringing too many people into the Monkeysphere. I view society as a business, with everyone having a job to do and the goal being to make a "profit" in the form of technological or societal advancements. If someone gets hurt or dies, my first thought isn't "Oh, the poor family," but more about the impact on society based on what that person would have or could have contributed.

Anyways...MONKEYSPHERE! I'm honoured that my little theory is associated with such a great term. Monkeysphere, monkeysphere, monkeysphere :lol:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's like I have no Monkeysphere and everyone is considered an object. I've assigned them default actions, and also given myself actions to allow them to carry on with as little disruption as possible. :confused:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you can lie your way through one of those. HAHA heck ive got a pretty decent security clearance in the military lol.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, my main interview "trick" is to not prepare and not lie, though. Spontaneous answers seem to come across as more geniune.

Besides, I don't want to start my career on a lie. If they don't feel like they could use me, I'll wait a year and try again. I've got nothing to hide, and I don't think my odd view of society will affect how I do my job. I may think a murderer has no place in society, but I'm not going to shoot him in the face, either. It's the court's job to determine where that person fits in society, and we as a country have decided that everyone fits somewhere.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Huh?? :wacko:
This monkeysphere stuff is driving me bananas!!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
Haha, my main interview "trick" is to not prepare and not lie, though. Spontaneous answers seem to come across as more geniune.

Besides, I don't want to start my career on a lie. If they don't feel like they could use me, I'll wait a year and try again. I've got nothing to hide, and I don't think my odd view of society will affect how I do my job. I may think a murderer has no place in society, but I'm not going to shoot him in the face, either. It's the court's job to determine where that person fits in society, and we as a country have decided that everyone fits somewhere.
OK, Murderers, pediphiles and the like, I think their place is in a plot in the cemetery... :mad:

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I've found that idea to be true. Out here I say "Good Morning" Or what ever to people I pass as do others. People in smaller places are more friendly than in larger cities. I went to Portland Or. And Seattle WA. and would speak to folks and they looked at me like I was some kind of Nut.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Yup JJ...when I moved to Chicago a simple gesture like holding open the door for someone would, you would think, generate a "Thank you" from the person you held it for...noooo not in Chicago. All I get is a breeze as they are walking by...sometimes that breeze isn't very pleasant either. ;-|

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello Scott and JIMMYJOHN. Yes! even adelaide people can be like that at times. You try to be sociable, and use manners but they give you an odd reaction. This is not consistent, and can happen at random moments. I periodically get those reactions of, looked at as though i be an odd ball.

Also when holding the shop door open for a lady, not even a " Thank you " or a smile. Just a total blank look on their face, plus they look serious. I get the impression that it unfortunately, is the signs of our current time and the deteriorating attitudes. :confused: :roll:

The blokes are no different. My own gender can be downright horrible. Every time i see a disabled person in wheel chair, or someone that is severely mentally challenged, i am thankful to be in good health.as in mind and body.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scooter Scott said:
Yup JJ...when I moved to Chicago a simple gesture like holding open the door for someone would, you would think, generate a "Thank you" from the person you held it for...noooo not in Chicago. All I get is a breeze as they are walking by...sometimes that breeze isn't very pleasant either. ;-|
Wow, I read some random blog entries from people who were morally opposed to opening the door for people - they refuse to do it unless the person is visibly disabled. Now I know why - if I did it enough times without any sign of appreciation, I would probably stop too.

Over here people will hold the door for you even when you're pretty far away. Usually I have to jog up to them so that they don't stand there the whole time waiting for me.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
Scooter Scott said:
Wow, I read some random blog entries from people who were morally opposed to opening the door for people - they refuse to do it unless the person is visibly disabled. Now I know why - if I did it enough times without any sign of appreciation, I would probably stop too.

Over here people will hold the door for you even when you're pretty far away. Usually I have to jog up to them so that they don't stand there the whole time waiting for me.
Face it Squishy, you are a wierdo... ;)

I hold doors open for others, they usually take it as a sign of my weakness, and their obvious superiority. :doh: I only hold the door if I know the person I am opening it for, or they have done something for me in the past and I recall that.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Don't laugh at me and don't think that I am some kind of Religous Nut, However Greet every one and be polite to all you never know which one may be the LORD testing YOU!!!! :shades: :heart: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
JIMMYJOHN said:
Don't laugh at me and don't think that I am some kind of Religous Nut, However Greet every one and be polite to all you never know which one may be the LORD testing YOU!!!! :shades: :heart: :thumb:
I learned to "Howdy" everyone I meet, and give the oncoming drivers the polite finger wave (no, not that finger!). The index finger is lifted in greeting to the oncoming traffic in Texas. It's a sort of I am right here with you partner! :hi:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.