Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a wierd question but maybe someone knows lol....Does anyone know what would be best used to lubricate the seals around my moonroof? The seals are not leaking at all, but they make some loud rubbing noises against the frame when you open the roof, mostly when venting. I tried some Silicon Spray but that didn't really do much...my next thought was Vaseline....any ideas?

·
Registered
256 Posts
gmercedesbenz said:
Does anyone know what would be best used to lubricate the seals around my moonroof? . . . . I tried some Silicon Spray but that didn't really do much...my next thought was Vaseline....any ideas?
Your first idea was along the right lines, but the second . . . . DON'T DO IT!!!

Get some clear silicone brake grease (the type used to lubricate the rubber boots) - about the same consistency as Vaseline, but IT WON'T EAT THE RUBBER! (in my younger days, I'd be mentioning sex, and condoms, and Vaseline . . . . but I'm WAAAY too mature for that, now.)

-SPARKZZ

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prowler said:
gmercedesbenz said:
Does anyone know what would be best used to lubricate the seals around my moonroof? . . . . I tried some Silicon Spray but that didn't really do much...my next thought was Vaseline....any ideas?
Your first idea was along the right lines, but the second . . . . DON'T DO IT!!!

Get some clear silicone brake grease (the type used to lubricate the rubber boots) - about the same consistency as Vaseline, but IT WON'T EAT THE RUBBER! (in my younger days, I'd be mentioning sex, and condoms, and Vaseline . . . . but I'm WAAAY too mature for that, now.)

-SPARKZZ
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good point :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a spray you can buy that is for rubber to keep it soft and moist. Forget the name sorry but that may also lubriate it, I know its a silicone base spray and the one I used didn't attract and trap dust either. I got it at Canadian Tire here in Canada. But im sure most auto stores sell somthing similar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
this is not a joke :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: , but baby oil will work great for rubber all over the car .apply
a bit on a rag and then apply it on the rubber . if this does not work ,you may want
to take it to the dealer and get a new rubber seal around the moon roof . :thumb:

·
Registered
256 Posts
GenX said:
this is not a joke :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: , but baby oil will work great for rubber all over the car .
Yes, you must be joking - the same one that I made above:
prowler said:
(in my younger days, I'd be mentioning sex, and condoms, and Vaseline . . . . but I'm WAAAY too mature for that, now.)
Per Johnson & Johnson, the main ingredient of Baby Oil is Mineral Oil. Over time, it will turn your rubber into mush.

Per Wikipedia:

It (mineral oil) is sometimes used as a personal lubricant (although it is not safe for use with latex condoms).
After extensive research and discussion on the prowler board, my STRONG suggestion is to use a thin application of silicone brake grease.

-SPARKZZ

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soo after much debate I see lol :popcorn: I went and found some clear brake silicon grease, applied some all the way around the seal, and viola good as new! Just as a side note the other reason I did this was not only did the noise annoy me, but I assumed that rubbing noise = excess friction = excess strain on the moonroof motor...so if anyone else is having this problem, I can definitely vouch for the silicon grease. :yes: Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.