Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this stuff is amazing! i use it on my '01 escape's black door handles and sideview mirrors. the faded black gets its rich, deep black back and it stays this way for a long time. i usually redo it everytime i wash my car and it keeps them looking brand new!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Never used Mothers. I have a gallon of Armour All in the Garage, and it's only half gone... :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Gray can be improved with some Armour All, but it does evaporate. I suppose they all do though. Gray looks crappy half the time anyway, especially if it's sun damaged and has the brown hue peaking through. :(

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I use an acrylic-based polish and UV protectant and it gives greys a shiny "wet" look. I can't remember the name of it, but it is made by Crystal-Glo.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i dont generally shine my tires, but for the plastics i use a synthetic wax and it works great. i do have a NAPA brand tire shine spray, but only cause i got if free as a promo. it works good as a spray on, wait, then rinse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Used this stuff for a while, it is amazing!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have heard of stories of plastics taking on a dried out chalky look over time when a wax is used. I use the mother Back to Black. First wash you car down good. then apply the mother using a cloth. I apply it heavy then let it sit for a hour. Then Ill apply some to a cloth again and wipe over all the plastic pieces again just to get any excess off and even out the shine. When its done it looks brand new. I have a 2004 Escape XLT and I had a guy come up to me in a parking lot and wanted to know how i got the bumpers to look so great. I think its the best youll find. The other good thing is when it drys it wont rub off on your clothes( just make sure you wipe it down the second time to even it out) :yes: :thumb:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Squishy said:
I use an acrylic-based polish and UV protectant and it gives greys a shiny "wet" look. I can't remember the name of it, but it is made by Crystal-Glo.
I've got some Crystal-Glo acrylic motorcycle polish. Let's see if it does any good on the grey plastic. The Stoner's Vinyl & Plastic Coating didn't last more than a week (it didn't hold up to the rain & a car wash) - maybe because it was an aerosol & not enough product was used; but it was easy to apply & made the plastic look nice. Stoner's Trim Shine is a good product. A cheap alternative is generic furniture polish spray - I use the Everyday Living Orange-scented polish from Kroger - ~ $2.79 for a 12 oz can. It's a good plastic cleaner & polish.

·
Registered
79 Posts
this stuff is top notch. Im pretty sure it works on grey's. If you have not used this stuff its actually white so its not like a black polish as some might think. I don't think it could hurt if you tried it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love this stuff, Whom ever had my escape before I did, got car wax on the black plastics. As you guys know wax and fords black texture plastics start to look warn and grey. This brought them back to life, I am truly amazed by the transformation. :yahoo:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to pass this along

As I used to have a Jeep and faded fender flares are always a problem on Jeeps:

http://www.jeepreviews.com/blog/jeep-mo ... er-flares/

It might work on Gray as well because Penetrol isn't really black when applied, it's more of a dark tint. I'd suggest trying a small area on the gray and see how it looks.

BTW Penetrol is AWESOME stuff to use on black interior, just apply carefully. It's like permanent Armor-all

let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have spent quite a bit of time in detail forums, and that is one of my "vices" as well.

The pros tend to shy away from Armour-all since it is petroleum based (ie you could rub motor oil on your fenders and make them look shiny, but not very good for the long term life of the plastic)

Mothers works well, but I find the way it gets applied can be a bit of a PITA, and is kind of wasteful.

I have used this stuff on the plastic on my '01 Escape and it takes about 2 mins to apply, and is about $3 USD @ Wal-mart.

spray it on and wipe any over spray or excess with a MF cloth 2 mins later and yo'll have weeks of shine. Beyond that, Lexol vinylex a more powerful petroleum free protectant:

, and 303 has a UV blocker in it, as sun is the biggest proponent to plastic degradation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts