Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is Motorcraft different then the OE parts that come on the Escape.

I find parts listed with Brand name and meets OE requirements or better, such as mooge, firestone, Westin, Motorcraft etc. then I'll find the the same part that says Replacement same as OE?
I thought Ford used all Motorcraft parts when and if Motorcraft made the part? :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
True, Motorcraft is a Ford company.
Most major car manufacturers have their own parts company as a way to tease the anti-trust laws.These parts are manufactured by independent companies contracted by Ford. Use another manufacturer's part and your warranty is void.Some independent manufacturer parts are of superior quality and sofistication compared to Motorcrafts'.And in some cases they are even much cheaper.
A similar situation is where do you have your car serviced.When under warranty it must be serviced by an authorised dealer otherwise the warranty is void.
In the European Union that practice of the companies was stopped as of last year and you can now service your car at any place without losing your warranty rights.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When I worked in Parts and Service at a Ford dealer back in the 90s, we had both Ford and Motorcraft parts in stock. Motorcraft is like Goodwrench and Mopar (mentioned above) - kind of an arms's length parts company. It makes Manufacturer approved replacement parts for Ford, but also makes some parts (like Brake Pads and Oil filters) for virtually all cars.

Autolite used to be ford's parts company but they were forced to sell them back in the 70s or 80s because it violated anti-trust laws. So Motorcraft is now a "parts company" that is contracted by Ford to make their replacement parts. Generally they are identical to OE.

Interestingly, back in the 90s when 24 month red-carpet leases were all the rage, we could tell if a customer drove for 2 years and 50,000km without ever servicing the car. It had an original Ford oil filter on it from the factory instead of a replacement Motorcraft (or Fram, Purolator, etc) filter. And not surprisingly, there were a lot of vehicles brought back like this (mostly SUVs).

You can buy both Ford and Motorcraft parts for the same application - like brakes, filters, etc - but most dealers only carry the MC ones because they are cheaper and compete with brands like Munroe and Midas for long warranty coverage.

·
Registered
574 Posts
SUVord said:
These parts are manufactured by independent companies contracted by Ford. Use another manufacturer's part and your warranty is void.Some independent manufacturer parts are of superior quality and sofistication compared to Motorcrafts'.And in some cases they are even much cheaper.
A similar situation is where do you have your car serviced.When under warranty it must be serviced by an authorised dealer otherwise the warranty is void.
In the European Union that practice of the companies was stopped as of last year and you can now service your car at any place without losing your warranty rights.
This is covered in the US by the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, and in Canada the same basic rights are outlined in the Competition Act under "tied selling".

Some Euro manufacturers, BMW and Mercedes in particular, are very good at telling you that ANY work done outside their dealers voids your warranty, even changing your own oil. When the business manager at our MB dealer told me that, I asked her how that complied with the federal Competition Act and the spirit of the US Magnuson Moss Act. She had no answer and immediately backtracked after I suggested to her the Toronto Automobile Dealers Association might like to hear what she had to say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.