Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in Phenix City, AL/Columbus, GA. It is a valley due to the Chattahoochee River and is actually the start of the Appalachian Mts. Little hilly a round here and some steeper than others with some downshifts to 5th. 4 hour round trip at 60-62 mph we averaged 29 mpg! +1 on rated and this is with A/C full blast (96 degree) and our Great Dane riding in the back. Seems great to me considering the terrain around here.

As for city, wife drives 10 miles to work and takes 20 min to get there. Average 23-24 mpg in city. Just turned 1800 miles too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello 04redmach1!.
Gave your message a perusal.
It is good to hear ,you are experiencing economy with the escape.

Have determined, yours would be the 2.5L engine.
My escape has the 2.3L four pot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, it is doing well! I have the 2.5 with the 6 speed auto. I will probably grab a tuner for it a little later after break in and see if actually worth it. When I was a certified tuner we seen an average of 2 mpg more with a tune and some up to 4 mpg.

I am sure on flat land at 60 mph we could see 33-36 mpg ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just finished a 950 km round trip from Fredericton NB to Halifax NS. We averaged 28.3 mpg (8 L/100 KM) according to the Trip Computer. Quite happy with the results. I HATE buying gas. (and this is with a 2010 V6, 4WD ) THis was the first real hwy driving we have done after 6800 km into the truck. I have my numbers down for a manual calculation but haven't crunched those numbers yet, I am sure they will be similar.

The mileage I am getting is shocking. This truck replaced a 2002 VW golf, 2.0 i4 and we are getting the exact same mileage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not bad at all! In our 09' V6 Fusion we had, we got 30mpg on highway and 28 on the interstate at 80 mph. Reaosn we got 4 banger is mainly city driving and saving a little there. I figured highway would not be much difference around here between the 2.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Forde said:
Just finished a 950 km round trip from Fredericton NB to Halifax NS. We averaged 28.3 mpg (8 L/100 KM) according to the Trip Computer. Quite happy with the results. I HATE buying gas. (and this is with a 2010 V6, 4WD ) THis was the first real hwy driving we have done after 6800 km into the truck. I have my numbers down for a manual calculation but haven't crunched those numbers yet, I am sure they will be similar.

The mileage I am getting is shocking. This truck replaced a 2002 VW golf, 2.0 i4 and we are getting the exact same mileage.
I just did a 400km round trip - 404km actually - started full with no top up and put 32.1 L of fuel in it (no top up) - 7.94l/100km or just shy of 29mpg US. Averaging 120km/h on the expressways, but 200km of it was on rural highways doing an average of 100km/h, but with some passing, a few stop lights, and some varied speeds.

Mine is an 09 4wd V6. Getting about 10.5l/100km in mixed driving day to day. Very impressed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That's great #'s! I just did my first road trip after having her for 3 years. OKC to Tulsa and back ~250mi, all highway/turnpike, a few rolling hills, enough to rev up to 4k uphill to maintain 80mph. Basicly had the CC set to 80 there and back, and got a lousy 25mpg! :rant: Oh yeah, that was with family of 4 (~600#) and AC on, temps about 88. I did drop the psi to 35 from the 40 I normaly run, try to make the ride a tad smoother, didn't notice the diff tho, currius if I could have eeked out another 1-2mpgs tho.
But of couse round town I can get 30-32 on avg, depending on who's behind the wheel ;)

So I guess my battery pack is not saving that much to a all gas 4cyl :(

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
08HybridOK , I can get 34mpg out of our MMH when I try, but most of the time I drive it the way I want and average 32mph. With that said, I love my Mariner and have no regrets on purchasing a hybrid vehicle. :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
The combination of 80mph, 600lbs of weight, cruise control, high outside temperatures, no "special driving techniques" and air conditioning is going to hinder reporting of 'high" mileage figures. Those bragging about their mileage figures do not use the above combination for any of their reporting. Did you lower the tire psi because the family complains about a "harsh" ride? I have never had this complaint, then again, I have never carried a family of four!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used A/C, cruise control, and had a big dog :p Under 2000 miles and getting that kind of mileage for me is good. I have a trip to Biloxi, Ms in June so we will see what she does on straigh tinterstate and no speed zones.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Billyk said:
The combination of 80mph, 600lbs of weight, cruise control, high outside temperatures, no "special driving techniques" and air conditioning is going to hinder reporting of 'high" mileage figures. Those bragging about their mileage figures do not use the above combination for any of their reporting. Did you lower the tire psi because the family complains about a "harsh" ride? I have never had this complaint, then again, I have never carried a family of four!
I wasn't expecting 'high' mileage, not even stated hwy 30mpg either pushing this 'brick' at 80mph, maybe 27, but my post wan't meant as a complaint/gripe. I, like Colleen, wouldn't trade my FEH for anything (well maybe a PFEH! It's be nice to almost never buy gas [5mil trips to/from work]). I lowered the psi, not from complaints, but just an attempt to smooth out the bumps a tad, and psi usually increases with temps, knowing I was planning on CC 80 the whole trip, same day, and the outside temps were all ready warm, I didn't want to risk getting to hot/high and causing a blowout. Lives are not worth the ~$.25 I'd save in gas. I used to try to get great mileage, and occasionaly I still do break 40's according to the SGII, but the wife has lost interest in this competion, and now gas is back down to <$2.50 vs the >$3.80s not so concerened. Now with this BP thing, and I think I heard something about Alaska, I'm waiting for the $10 gas :shock:

I do like hearing the 10's have elec AC now, but not ready to trade in. According to KBB my trade in is about $20k, a 10 FEHL is like $35k, I can run a lot of ICE at a stop light for $15k in gas!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I did nothing special - either tha A/C was on or the windows/sunroof were open, ran the tires at about 32psi cold (I actually find the ride a bit soft and floaty - typical domestic car - so I am going to try a couple more PSI next time to "import it up") and drove normally. That's probably why I am so impressed. To beat 20mpg in my old Odyssey I had to push it around instead of drive it!

I don't drive like a bat out of hell - I would say "normal", not overly eco-conscious on the throttle but not agressive. I have an ice-racer - an 89 CRX with an Integra 1.8 engine - to race in the winters and get it out of my system.

·
Registered
574 Posts
08HybridOK said:
and now gas is back down to <$2.50 vs the >$3.80s not so concerened. Now with this BP thing, and I think I heard something about Alaska, I'm waiting for the $10 gas :shock:
Don't panic about that. It's hard for Americans to accept, but the amount of oil supplied to the overall market by either Alaska or the Gulf is not significant enough to really disrupt the pricing structure too much. The vast majority of what you put in your tank is either Terrorism Unleaded from Saudi, Iran or Venezuela, or Tar Sands special unleaded from Alberta.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Billyk said:
Without being "picky", the United States imports more oil from Canada than any other country-200+ million barrels a year. Saudia Arabia imports only 160 million barrels. Link: http://www.quoteoil.com/oil-imports.html
That's right - and a significant amount of that is from the Tar Sands, which is now looking at a more environmentally friendly option ( :confused: ) than offshore drilling. Hard to believe, given the dismal environmental prospects related to tar sand development, but at least it isn't floating around an ocean.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The tar sand project is not environmentally friendly to "some" people. It utilizes huge amounts of water and electricity and creates three times the amount of CO2 emmission as regular oil refinery methods via this link: http://pierrejoris.com/blog/?p=3705 There is evidence of downstream pollution having negative effects on animal and human life.

There is no current simple and painless solution for oil extraction.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Billyk said:
The tar sand project is not environmentally friendly to "some" people. It utilizes huge amounts of water and electricity and creates three times the amount of CO2 emmission as regular oil refinery methods via this link: http://pierrejoris.com/blog/?p=3705 There is evidence of downstream pollution having negative effects on animal and human life.

There is no current simple and painless solution for oil extraction.
I grew up in Oil Sands country - Peace River, Alberta to be precise. Saw the ups and downs of the tar sands, including the big bust out of the Nationa Energy Program in the early 80s.

Yes, it is a potential environmental atom bomb, although living it first hand, even 30 years ago, I can tell you it isn't as bad as the eco-mentalists make it out to be...they tend to use stock footage of the same old trailing pond 30km north of Fort Mac to prove their point (and that style of pond is no longer used). But, I think your point is valid that there is no "painless" solution for oil extraction, and the Gulf Spill is showing that. Oil is a dirty fuel in more ways than one.

Now.... :topic: I filled up the other day after some mixed driving - a little over 25mpg US in mixed - 50% highway, 50% urban and stop and go - motoring. V6 4wd. Very impressed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts