Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my 1987 Ford Ranger xlt ext cab 2wd 302 H.O.
as u can see it needs cleaned and let out of the garage. im workin on that, just got it back to life. its been a long time comn. when i turned the key it fired right up. it set for 5-6years. only has a couple thousand miles on the engine n tranny.

got a kit from total performance out of MI. headers, motor mounts, oil filter relocater, n double hump oil pan. its a 79 302 out of a merc capri. put in a decent cam, got it rebuilt n balanced, 289 heads with new parts, 3 core radiator, accel ign, c4 with shiftkit, driveshaft from a ford van that had to be modified, org 7.5 rear end...it has factory 3.73 gears. just put in factory headlight harness (a bit of miswiring on my part,burnt up the org one) from a 87 bronco II, new fan...17" dia 2400 cfm and only 2 5/8" deep!
a good friend did the majority of it and supervised me :)
the brakes were good when i parked it but now pedal goes to floor...seems like air in them...gona try to bleed them?

very little mods needed...notch small v in passenger side frame rail for header to fit, drill one hole on drivers side for motor mount, make plate to extend tranimision mount, find a driveshaft to cut down, get a radiator made to fit, relocate oil filter, thats the major things that has to be done.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
With about 225 hp from the 302 and a curb weight in the 3300 lb range this thing should be a whole lot of fun. Slap some new colour on this one and it could be a good weekend toy. :thumb:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, i have beaten small block cameros and olds...mustangs give it a run for its money. its actually closer to 300hp since the mods. im just glad to hear it run again, i let it set outa frustration and i also had other priorities.
i plan on figuring out and fixing brake prob, then working on cleanng up the engine and engine bay. then when $$ allows it will get sme fresh paint

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's a nice sleeper. The guy who pulls up beside you is expecting the guttless Ranger 6 at best then a moment later he's sitting looking stunned while staring at your tail lights. :lol:

One of these days I'll get out of my condo and into a house with a garage so I can get a toy like this to tinker with.

Have fun, keep us up to date.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.