Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this group.

I was given my Ford Escape Hybrid back in April of 2005 with 214 miles on it. It has about 91,000 now. It has been a great car. Some minor problems, but most was under warranty.

The other day I hit a large animal. Large dog, or pig or something about that size.

Afterwards it was running fine for about 2-3 hours. Headed out of town (an hour away). I was on the freeway most of the time. When I got off I pulled up to a stop sign, and kept going. About a half a mile after the stop sign, my car said "STOP SAFELY NOW" and then my engine cut off. I coasted to the side of the road, and at that point it said "HIGH MOTOR TEMPERATURE". I turned my engine off, got out of my vehicle and went and checked the engine. Nothing seemed wrong, wasn't any hotter than normal, no smoke. Got back into my car, and sat there for a few minutes. Went to turn the key, and it came right back on. Sent on my way (3 more blocks) and parked it. When I left later that even I had to make the long drive back to my house. About half way there I was on the toll going about 65MPH and it stalled out on me again. I coasted to the side of the road, turned my car off. Waited 3 minutes turned it back on and took off again. Got about 3 miles down the road, and it did it again. Turned it off for 5 minutes, and back on. No problems the rest of the night. Next day was Sunday. Took it to the dealership, and left it for the service people on Monday. They called me Monday saying it was my REAR BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR. Honestly I don't know a lot about cars, so I told them to fix it, and I would come get it later. It actually took them till Tuesday, they wanted to make sure that was the problem. I picked it up Tuesday night, and headed home. Was on the toll road (going about 70) and got off, came to a stop at the stop sign no problem, turned right, and hit my brakes for the next stop sign, and my car jerked. Jerked like someone had put my car in park before I was completely stopped. Sat there for a minute, turned it back on, and pulled into the parking lot.

At that point I called my service guy. I asked what the heck, and he said "Yeah I didn't think we fixed it, but I couldn't get any other codes to pull up". OK I AM A GIRL?!?! I don't know a lot about cars, and I am terrified to drive a car that won't get me from POINT A TO POINT B SAFELY. I take pride in my car, and keep it in great working order (regular oil changes, filter inspections, check-ups, etc). I was about 30 minutes from my dealership at this point, so I tried taking some less hectic back roads back to the shop, and it stalled out on me 15 times. Every single time I had to stop, either at a stop light, or stop sign. It was humiliating, and frustrating all the way. Took me almost an hour and a half to get back to the dealership. They were closed, so I left it over by the service area. They still can't find out what is wrong with it. Started looking at it this morning. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sorry for the long winded message. Just wanted all the facts out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sorry. I mispoke.

It was either a dog, or a wild hog, or coyote. I live out in the country. Many animals run free. The car in front of me hit the animal, I ran over it next. He stopped, and told me I should keep going. It wasn't very pretty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
my car said "STOP SAFELY NOW" and then my engine cut off. I coasted to the side of the road, and at that point it said "HIGH MOTOR TEMPERATURE".
My guess is your low on coolant, making the engine too hot an overheating, that's why you get those codes to protect the engine.

When you ran over the animal was it on the driver side?
Check if the fans are running. Do you have a coolant leak? Check the two coolant resevoirs under the hood on the bottom left. The front one is for the engine and radiator cooling, the back resevoir is for the Motor Electronics cooling.
It might be that simple and you won't get a code for that, but I'm surprised you didn't get a low coolant light and or the dealer didn't check/find this.

If that is all OK, maybe the temperature or coolant sensor is faulty saying the vehicle is low on coolant and or high temp, and one of them was damaged. But if that was the case you would think a code would appear.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm not familiar with Hybrids, but as far as fuel burning engines go, here's my 2 cents....hopefully, there's something here that might help.

It's possible the engine has gone into limp mode. Your mechanic should have been able to get that off the computer.

How hard did you hit/run over the animal?

Since you got the message "High Motor Temp", I would start at the cooling system. Possible you've got coolant loss, resulting in the engine not able to cool itself. when it gets too hot, it shuts down.

Another possibility is the fan switch or motor got damaged somehow when you ran over what was left of the animal. Also resulting in the engine not being able to cool itself....eventually shutting down.

It's also possible your oil pan was damaged. Loss of oil would overheat the engine, causing the computer to shut it down.

So, check the oil level. Check the coolant level. Check if the radiator fan turns on when the engine reached normal running temp.

Edit : I did some searches on the symptoms you described and the message you received. It is possible you have a problem with the blend door motor used to cool the battery compartment. I would get your mechanic to re-check that fix.

Also, there are Technical Service Bulletins for Hybrids 08-15-1 and TSB TSB 07-25-12, where owners get the same message you did. Ask your mechanic if the TSB applies in your case.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You had an issue with the blend door. The split rear drivers side window has a vent leading to the hybrid battery pack. There is a "door" deep inside this vent that has malfunctioned. This door is a known issue and can be repaired by the owner but... there is a lot of stuff in the way that has to be removed and then replaced. Look for some threads on this issue at this site. I got to go now. It is likely your hybrid battery is overheating and causing the shutdown/stalling of the vehicle. It is possible one of the hybrid battery pack internal cooling fans has stopped working and is contributing to this issue.

Do not pay a penny for any repair of any item inside the hybrid battery pack. It is covered by a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. Do not listen to a Ford Service Writer telling you a malfunctioning internal hybrid battery pack fan is not covered by the Ford Warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having problems with Ford and my Ford dealer trying to get my internal battery cooling fan replaced. How am I suppose to get it replaced when the part number for the fan comes up as not being covered under warranty? I've talked to 4 dealerships in the area and they all say the same thing. I've tried to convince them that the fans are part of the battery and should be covered under the 8 year 100000 mile warranty but because it doesn't show up in their warranty system properly, they don't want to fix it under warranty because they won't get paid by Ford for it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Billyk said:
You had an issue with the blend door. The split rear drivers side window has a vent leading to the hybrid battery pack. There is a "door" deep inside this vent that has malfunctioned. This door is a known issue and can be repaired by the owner but... there is a lot of stuff in the way that has to be removed and then replaced. Look for some threads on this issue at this site. I got to go now. It is likely your hybrid battery is overheating and causing the shutdown/stalling of the vehicle. It is possible one of the hybrid battery pack internal cooling fans has stopped working and is contributing to this issue.

Do not pay a penny for any repair of any item inside the hybrid battery pack. It is covered by a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. Do not listen to a Ford Service Writer telling you a malfunctioning internal hybrid battery pack fan is not covered by the Ford Warranty.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The hybrid battery and all internal components (including the cooling fans) are covered by a 8 year-100,000 mile warranty. 10 year and 150,000 mile warranty in the "Green States". This is a FEDERAL LAW. Don't give in to the stupid dealership.

Go to this link: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/ ... not-24766/ for information found below:

Hold the phone Mary Ann! We have the answer to the battery fan issue and your dealer is stupid. Tell the dealer to inter the battery assembly number for the internal parts to be covered. The battery is covered as an assembly so Ford would rather replace the fans than a $7,000 battery.

Does anyone know what the battery assembly number is? I'm having the same problem with my Ford dealer, where their system says that the cooling fan #5m6z10c659a is not covered by any warranty. I suggested to him that he run the battery assembly number (because the cooling fans are part of that assembly)

The HVTB part number is the same in both the '05 and '09 FEH Workshop Manuals section 414-03-43 ('09) 414-03-44 ('05) which is 10B759. Your '08 FEH should have the same part number as this.

Make sure you get everyone's full name involved in telling you the fans are not covered under the HV battery warranty. Ford had better get the word out to these stupid dealers before their name is trashed about their Hybrid warranty. You are the second person in less than a week that has posted this problem.

1) Legally, the battery fans ARE part of the warranty coverage. You need to push harder.

2) Dealers are stupid ( or undereducated in these matters ). They have seen very few hybrids, and even fewer hybrid repairs. So they don't know what the heck they are talking about.

3) If you don't complain or resist, they will be happy to take your money guilt-free. They feel the recession too and will take every dollar.

Don't give in to the dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts