Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my obligatory pictures after buying the Escape almost 2 weeks ago now. I just gave it a quick wash- nothing to be really proud of. I found a few orange scuffs in the paint that easily came out. I still need to remove the dealer badge glue goo from above the Escape badge. And I can't wait to ditch the dealer plates- I could do it now but...... that takes effort. All that chrome is a major pain in the butt while drying.

So far no issues at all with it. Since it's not "mine" the SYNC system hasn't been fully utilized but my wife is enjoying the bluetooth hands-free calling, the satellite radio and the backup camera.

Its first road trip will be around July 4th this summer. We are driving from CO to WI for a week and a half or so. Couple stops along the way but nothing too exciting. It's going to get loaded up with a Thule cargo box on the roof and a 2" receiver for a bike rack. We've made roughly this same trip in my '97 Explorer last summer and eeked out a one tank best of 18 mpg (loaded the same)- I'm hoping the Escape will do better and have an icier A/C.

So.... here it is. The kids have named it "Grey Beauty"- we had a rental Durango in FL that was black that they called "Black Beauty". Escapes are everywhere in the Denver metro area so this thing is certainly not unique in the least. But I think it's going to be a great vehicle in the years to come.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Good photos, the camera is nice, and although I still do a good search I use the backup camera more than I thought. She will like the Bluetooth, and I believe you can pair two phones to SYNC and have yours. You can't use them both at the same time though. Have the driver connected to bluetooth and the passenger use phone as normal.

·
Registered
639 Posts
nice :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Dealer plates just look like wrap-arounds with some vinyl displays in place. A socket wrench with the right adapter should do the trick.... although I can't tell. For my car, a few Phillips hold the plates in place.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks great! I almost went with a grey myself... Opted at the last minute for the black.

I notice you have those same orange spots on the tires. What are they for and how do you get rid of them?

Also, rock on Wisconsin! :thumb: :thumb: Where abouts are you headed?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are headed to some small spot northwest of Green Bay called Mountain. My wife's family is renting out 3 cabins on a lake there for a week. Should be fun.

The silver F-150 in the neighbor's driveway is actually an F-250 diesel. It's fairly new. I think he got it about a year ago. There's a black F-150 in the street in that same picture. That thing is a little older.

The part I wasn't excited about was the wash job. It was pretty quick and not too involved- actually forgot to wash the wheels.

We almost went with black but my wife choose grey at the last minute. To be honest, I'm glad. Black is fine as long as the paint is good, but if there are swirls..... it's just downhill from there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great choice on the color! I really love Stirling Grey metalic, so much so that my wife and I bought a 2012 in the same color with the sport appearance package.

Congrats!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Congratulations, ExplorerTom! That's a really sharp, classy vehicle.

jeremy1701 said:
I notice you have those same orange spots on the tires. What are they for and how do you get rid of them?
I think they're used to help identify the high (or low) spot on the tire, for balancing purposes. (Link is to a Bridgestone Tires site.)

The paint eventually wears off, though it does take awhile. I wonder which will disappear from mine first - the orange tire spots, or the "Peel Away" stickers on each of the rims that withstand even a direct blast from a pressure washer...

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Around here i always get the dreaded green chalk mark on my tire when i park in a timed parking spot..So sometimes i will cheat and come back after he marks it and pull in and out so the mark is not in same spot.. :D

How dare them put chalk on my tires..Isn't this vandalism?.. I am sure brake clean on a rag, or rubbin alcohol,nail poilish remover may get your dot off..Just be careful not to get it all over and on paint,just dab a rag and rub off dot only...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts