Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a GPS and i was trying to figure out a way to hid the wire (well a good ammount of it) and i figured it out with out having to drill any holes!! Here are some pictures..

Sorry about the pictures they were a little blurry if anyone has any suggestions on any other way i should do it please do post! Don't worry about the wires by the way I put it like that to avoid the brake, gas, steering, and other stuff.

Just the stand and the wire

With the GPS on it

You can see where the 12V connects then goes under my dash to the GPS

Removed the cover

Side panel cover off

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I had an auxillary cigar lighter that I bought at Radio Shack once. I installed it up under the dash. I used it for my radar detector (back in the eighties) and wanted everything out of sight. I threaded the power wire up behind the A-pillar cover and across the header cover (not on any car that I know of now) above the windshield to the detector above and in front of the mirror. It was hidden except for the little LED panel across the detector face, which I positiioned above the rearview mirror. I had a power switch for the plug just under the left side of the dash so that I could cut the power and the LED from displaying should I be pulled over. I think that was the least used switch in my car. :lol:

I tell you this, as you may choose to use that instead of threading the wire all about under the dash. Get a auxillary outlet at the auto parts and make it so you still have your aux. power outlet available for cell phones, or whatever and still have use of the GPS. Also cleans up that power cable at the dash.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jonas1022 said:
I had an auxillary cigar lighter that I bought at Radio Shack once. I installed it up under the dash. I used it for my radar detector (back in the eighties) and wanted everything out of sight. I threaded the power wire up behind the A-pillar cover and across the header cover (not on any car that I know of now) above the windshield to the detector above and in front of the mirror. It was hidden except for the little LED panel across the detector face, which I positiioned above the rearview mirror. I had a power switch for the plug just under the left side of the dash so that I could cut the power and the LED from displaying should I be pulled over. I think that was the least used switch in my car. :lol:

I tell you this, as you may choose to use that instead of threading the wire all about under the dash. Get a axillary outlet at the auto parts and make it so you still have your aux. power outlet available for cell phones, or whatever and still have use of the GPS. Also cleans up that power cable at the dash.
How does it work though? Sorry I am slow lol I kinda get what you are saying I just don't know the part you are talking about And what is like the exact name cause Axillary Outlet is not coming up on the Advance Auto Parts website. (Also it has to be really cheap!!!!)

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
US MARINER 1 said:
That's a great idea.
I did it and now its all hidden except one wire. I connected another 12V cigar lighter to the main one and hid it behind all of it (Yes i connected the wires right) and now i have only one wire showing i have to say it took me a while to figure out... :( but it came out really nice :D!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you wanted to do an upgrade, connect the power to a switched power in the fusebox so you don't have to unplug it or turn it off manually. If you wire it to the lower power plug, I believe that is constant power? Not sure if the 2008 is the same as 2010...

Otherwise nice work. :thumb:

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sinister mob said:
If you wanted to do an upgrade, connect the power to a switched power in the fusebox so you don't have to unplug it or turn it off manually. If you wire it to the lower power plug, I believe that is constant power? Not sure if the 2008 is the same as 2010...

It is constant power but that is not a problem i only have the GPS plugged in when i am driving so its just the wire.. It should not drain the battery right?

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ScubaBrett22 said:
sinister mob said:

It is constant power but that is not a problem i only have the GPS plugged in when i am driving so its just the wire.. It should not drain the battery right?
Here is a picture on how i hooked them up since i forgot to take a picture with my camera.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If the "old" plug is constant power, then the new plug and anything plugged into it would also be constant power. So if you forget and leave the unit plugged in, it will draw power from the battery when the vehicle is turned off. But if you always remember to unplug the unit you will be fine. For me, I would forget it and have a dead battery in the morning.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sinister mob said:
If the "old" plug is constant power, then the new plug and anything plugged into it would also be constant power. So if you forget and leave the unit plugged in, it will draw power from the battery when the vehicle is turned off. But if you always remember to unplug the unit you will be fine. For me, I would forget it and have a dead battery in the morning.
Ya the "old" plug is constant power and so is the new one. I always take my GPS in like every night and at school, but if i had the wire connect to the plug would it drain the battery? My buddy said it would take a few years to do it lol...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Best bet would be o use an ampmeter and see what the adapter draws (if any) without the GPS attached.

BTW, I did the exact same thing with my Impala, cept I tapped off the radio as I wanted to use the retained accessory. Stupid Chevy had to use the data bus for that, so I had to buy a RAP/Chime retention module.

I have a bluetooth GPS receiver under the flat part of the dash in my Escape that I just connected to the radio leads. I connect it to my iPod Touch for GPS.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Admiral Michael said:
Best bet would be o use an ampmeter and see what the adapter draws (if any) without the GPS attached.

BTW, I did the exact same thing with my Impala, cept I tapped off the radio as I wanted to use the retained accessory. Stupid Chevy had to use the data bus for that, so I had to buy a RAP/Chime retention module.

I have a bluetooth GPS receiver under the flat part of the dash in my Escape that I just connected to the radio leads. I connect it to my iPod Touch for GPS.
I see what you mean... here is a picture of the wires I did a shi**y job.... I might need to redo them soon...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts