Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(click on thumbnails to enlarge)

I had low profile driving lights in the place of my fogs before, but they just looked weird. I finally had some time to get some Blazer Baja fog lights, and moved the low profile lights to beside the license plate. Here's some pics of the install and what the car looks like now:

With the old 'low-profile' driving lights as fogs:

Bumper off:

Duct tape-covered aftermath of my encounter with a snowy guardrail:

Fabricated some mounting brackets to hook onto the factory fog brackets:

Oh noes! I spilled my tray of bolts all over my ladder :cry:
(my coke too, but that was empty)

Finished lights:

Now normally, you only see these on big work trucks, but I have a dark parking lot. So while I had the wiring diagram out, I installed some 55W back up lights:

Now to buy another bag of those fragile little plastic clips...*grumble*

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not very, although it involved removing the bumper cover to run the wires. They hooked up to a relay which was switched by the low beam signal. There isn't really a good attachment point for the lights, so I used a hot glue gun to attach them and allowed to glue to set while I aimed the lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the reply Squishy.

I had some more questions if you don't mind.

I am truly planning on installing some of these on my Transmission Cooler air intake.

How hard would it be to mount those and wire them to run with the fog lights? I already did a mod that lets me run my foglights when the Amber Lights are on, if that affects anything.

Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hardest part would be the actual mounting. If you have a bull bar or brush guard, then you're good to go. If not, you may have to get creative with how to mount them to the bumper reinforcement (the black steel bar across the top of the transmission cooler in my second picture. I routed my wires in front of that reinforcement to avoid any heat issues from the radiator, but I'm not sure what temperature is needed to affect the wire insulation.

The wiring part is fairly straighforward if you have basic soldering, crimping, and wire stripping skills. Tap into the positive wire of the driver's side fog light harness, and run that to the signal input of an automotive relay. Run a wire either directly from the battery or use a C-type spade connector to tap into one of those big wires running to the battery junction box, and connect it to the power feed of the relay. Then run the relay power lines to the lights. I like to both crimp and solder my spade connector fittings, and also solder wire-to-wire connections like you might have to do with the wires coming from the lights. Make sure you use the same wire gauge as the wires coming out of the lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i really like the auxiliary lights on either side of the liscense plate in front, considering them as well..

what brand are those because they seem to fit well there.

Also, i like the aftermarket fog lights, i dont have any so ive been considering getting some for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're called "Ultra-White" fog lights, I think they're made by a company called Blazer. I got them at Canadian Tire so I don't know where you might get them in the states.

Try this link for the Canadian Tire product page (some people tell me linking to their online store doesn't work):
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 4396672432

1 - 9 of 9 Posts