Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm home today, and it started raining, and I figured that would give me a chance to snap a photo or two.

now, I don't go crazy modifying my vehicles. i fix the things that bother me or i think need to be better, and leave it at that. the lighting and sound system in the Escape seemed most lacking, and i'm well along on a stereo system install:

Pioneer double-din head unit [DONE]
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 component speakers [DONE]
stealth subwoofer install [ABOUT HALF DONE]

I will probably leave the rear speakers as-is, so that takes care of the audio portion. I don't want to do anything flashy to the exterior... no rims, nothing like that. Looking at the car, here's what I think it needs:

1. HIDs for the headlights (probably 4300k-5000k, i hate it when they are bluish)
2. fog lights in the stock location (those black plastic things are awful... i like 2500k yellow fogs)
3. short antenna (that wobbly tall thing just has to go, right? i don't even listen to the radio much)
4. some kind of roof rack tray to make it easier to pack stuff up there (i will have to do this fairly often on long trips)

thoughts? anyone have brand recommendations for these items or anything to add?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Kudos to Ford for finally offering XLT wheels on the XLS manual. Those are my favorite Escape factory wheels, hands down.

I'd go with all four of those exterior mods. I wish Ford would have relocated the antenna to the front center of the roof, which is where it is on my Edge, but a shorty antenna would be perfect.

Is that Sport Blue Metallic? It looks more like last year's Vista Blue, and a lot better than I thought that Sport Blue Metallic would look. Nice.

A Thule low-profile cargo box (the Frontier?) or cargo basket would look great on top.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's the Sport Blue Metallic. It looks a little lighter when it's not raining and dark, of course, but it doesn't trend toward powdery like I would have expected either. There is another photo in my avatar that's probably a bit more representative of how it looks in a non-rainstorm. The photo makes it out to be a bit deeper than reality.

When I went to look at the car, I knew it would be blue, and I reaaally didn't want a blue car, but it wasn't as bad in person as I expected and I got to keep threatening the salesman with "well, why don't you order me a white one?" and then he'd offer me another price concession to get me to take the blue one. By the end I was asking him for bonuses (uh... floormats please? i can't believe they don't normally come with them) based on the color alone. "I get the floormats because I'm buying a blue car, right?"

Who makes a shorty antenna? Any recommendation? I'm not really worried about satellite radio (which I'd never use) or HD radio or anything, unless the prices make that a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Jeez, I've been wanting to add a 12-foot whip antenna and you guys are talking about getting rid of the little stock one? :bill:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got my shorty antenna on ebay for $15. My suggestion for first mods would be window tint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Squishy said:
Jeez, I've been wanting to add a 12-foot whip antenna and you guys are talking about getting rid of the little stock one? :bill:
Squishy,

Might be a stupid question, but were you seriously thinking about installing a 12-foot whip antenna? If so, I'm assuming it's for 2-way, not for AM or FM broadcast reception.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I thought about mounting a whip on my brush guard for my CB radio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been trying to figure out a way to mount either a 12 or 16 foot long whip toward the back of the vehicle, either on top or off one side to work the ham radio HF bands (3.5 to 29 MHz). Unfortunately, I think that it will involve buying a tuner which will have to be mounted somewhere near the antenna, probably eliminating one of the storage areas in the back cargo area.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Only place I can think of in the rear would be to mount it right at the bottom of the liftgate itself. Otherwise, I don't think you could open it without hitting the antenna.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello JIMMYJOHN! Did you hear that? Or i could have said " Hello Juliet India Mike Mike Yankee # Juliet Oscar Hotel November! :) :happy: We have some fellow cb radio enthusiasts. :) :) :) :clap: :yahoo: :shades: :wave: More the merrier i reckon. Romeo Oscar November on the side here. :lol:

Hello jbartlett79. Nice escape you have there. Thanks for the beautiful photo. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
lilshimy36 said:
I got my shorty antenna on ebay for $15. My suggestion for first mods would be window tint.
window tint is AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
i really really like the blue! it was hard for me to decide between that blue and the silver i chose. very nice. congratulations on the new ride.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just bought a billet shorty antenna as well on ebay for 10$

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
andjayik said:
Just bought a billet shorty antenna as well on ebay for 10$
post up a pic when you can, and let us know how short it is!

·
Registered
679 Posts
14 inches will get it in a week

·
Registered
679 Posts
LOL! YA YA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts