Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sorry for my poor english, it's not my mother language.

I will talk about my 2001 ford escape in great condition. Many maintenance required but very satisfied of the general condition of my Escape.
In 2009 a problem occured with a misfire problem on cylinder #5, after some test i decided to change the coil on this cylinder . Fews weeks later another misfire problem with cylinder # 1 . The removal of the intake has been necessary to fix the problem with 3 brand new coils on cylinder 1,2 and 3 to avoid to remove the intake in case of another coil problem back of the engine.

Now i have 2 erratic problems. First, the engine have some rattle foot on the pedal brake and drive engaged… like a little misfire. No problem in acceleration or when running on highway, The other problem is the engine need 3 or 4 seconds to start once three…No relation detected with humidity or temperature… very annoying … The pressure of the fuel pump is tested, the injector has been cleaned under pressure, the EGR valve operate correctly and the DFPE sensor changed recently …

My question is the next:

Do you think a badly coil can affect start of the engine when assuming i have 4 new coils on 6 or do you have any idea about my problems

Many thank's for the replies

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Have read numerous times where the intake was removed and the old gaskets didn't reseat good causing problems.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Check air filter.... if not yes the intake gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No check engine light on.... shurely borderline...
I dont think the intake gasket maybe the source of the problem because engine hard to start before changing the coils behind engine...

One thing ...
I forgot to add the crank sensor transmitter as new piece changed ....

I'm in lack of solution......
Many thank's for reading to all

·
Registered
191 Posts
....The other problem is the engine need 3 or 4 seconds to start once three…No relation detected with humidity or temperature… very annoying … The pressure of the fuel pump is tested, the injector has been cleaned under pressure, the EGR valve operate correctly and the DFPE sensor changed recently …
Have you serviced the IAC (Idle Air Control)? It is known to get carbon fouled. It acts as a bypass when the thottle plate is closed, so if it's cloggedd, the car might be hard starting or it won't idle right or stall. You can try cleaning it, but a new one might be a better idea. Be sure to install a new gasket.

If you service the IAC, you may as well do the throttle body & throttle plate as well. A TB cleaner that's coating-safe probably should be used (not carb cleaner nor etc) & a soft toothbrush. Something else, if you remove the air intake duct, don't touch the MAF sensor that projects into the duct (I'm assuming your car has one). If it looks dirty, spray it clean w a MAF cleaner spray & don't touch it. Again, don't use carb cleaner or brake cleaner or anything harsh like that - use the correct spray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts