Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This was a picture of my first Ford Truck.
It had a 351 Cleveland
Edekbrock Carburetor
Edelbrock Intake
Summit Racing Headers top off with Cherry Bomb Mufflers
Lunati Racing Cam
K&N Air Filter
and she didn't like 87 octane gas

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Nice truck!

I still see older Fords around here, especially in the rural areas. Fords hold up, plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
A new one, or a classic older one? The '09 F-150 looks like another winner.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Cali should have a lot of older models in really good shape! Do you have your eye on one already?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is true California does have ton of old cars, but I would have to get it back to Alabama when I retire, and that might get expensive.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Alabama's weather is also pretty good for older cars.

:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't wait to go home California is nice but after 20 years in the Navy. It's time for this old salt to go home and get his old ford truck. When I was in high school down there I could hell of deals on older trucks.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Maybe you still can.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to get one for my son, so he will know to work on trucks and cars. I do have time though he is 9 1/2 yearsold.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
My dad always let me work on things. He's my inspiration. Actually, both of my parents are.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
jpark said:
My dad always let me work on things. He's my inspiration. Actually, both of my parents are.

It's weird. I guess me and my Brother (30) picked up our loves of cars and motoring from my Dad, but I'm the only one who's ever "done stuff" to my cars myself, neither of them have ever done anything that'd get their hands dirty. My Dad & Brother are both Cheque-book enthusiasts.

I guess it may be linked to our jobs. My Dad's works in shipping, but spends 99% of his time in an office. My Brother works in a department store, and has had numerous office jobs since leaving school, whereas I became a gas (no, not your version of petrol, gas as in methane/natural gas, I used to install and repair boilers, cookers, fires, etc.)engineer, then a phone engineer.

I guess I'm comfortable working with tools, and can always see a way to do things (level of expertese(sp?) permiting) :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Same here.

Wanna move to the US and open an engineering firm?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Interestingly enough, my brother bought one new in 79. Top of the line everything. Lariat XLT F-150, 460 cid V-8, 4 bbl carb, Cruisomatic transmission, cruise control, power steering and brakes, no power windows or door locks as they weren't offered yet, four tone Dark and Light Jade Green paint, chrome everything. It is missing the large rub strips on the front bumper, and it had an AM/FM only radio, now a Panasonic or Pioneer.

He had a hydraulic dump kit installed on the bed when it was new. So it will dump it's load without having to shovel it out. :yes:

He is in his seventies and not doing any of the mechanics on it any longer. And it recently burned up it's wiring harness under the hood. He is having the harness rebuilt by a local shop. And should be finished this week. They are waiting on some parts from an antique car supplier. Heck, I remember when that truck was new. I went with him when he ordered it, and picked it up from the dealer. Seems like yesterday. :whistle:

Magnificient piece of machinery. It only gets about 10-12 mpg. Goes like scat :shock: . I think it has about 75K miles on the clock at the moment. :beer:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want another old ford truck a 1979 or less. I had a friend whose dad bought him a 1969 f100 with a postive rear end. His dad put a 460 in that thing and man we spent alot of times speeding to to shool at about 90 or so :angel: Luckly his dad was a deputy sheriff :yahoo: the police would just pull us over :bust: and say "Slow down or I will tell your Dad." They also had one of those hills where the power lines would run from hill to hill. Well had some good times when they took out the power lines and put a dirt road there, and we would run that truck jumping from hill to hill :wave: Those were some good times

·
Registered
261 Posts
willyates1, what was your MOS in the Navy?

Nice truck by the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a Quartermaster. I'm stationed up in Alameda, Ca. I work with the coast guard, and I will be retiring inabout 8 months, so if need to know anything about the navy just let know

·
Registered
261 Posts
What can you tell me about SWCC and SEALs?

My dad was an army ranger but he doesn't talk much about it.

Right now I'm in DEP and applying for a specwar contract next month.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts