Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm newly registered here but I've been reading here for the last 6 month and found a lot of useful information from you all.

Here I'm showing you what i just installed in my 2009 Limited. I already own a Pioneer all-in one 2-DIN unit from my previous car but putting it in would mean loosing the steering wheel controls, the sync system and the lcd display on the top of the dash. Also, i have yet to found any mounting kit in gloss black.

Factory systems are 1500$ with installation and require a 200$ interface cable for dvd playback in the front seat, so this was out of option too.

I also look at the possibility of mounting a hidden car PC with a 10 inch touchscreen but all the screens on ebay etc. are only 480 in native resolution, not enough to run most applications in windows.

What I end up with is a Magellan Roadmate 1700 GPS. This 7 inch unit is very basic in functions but it has a very unique feature = A/V input.

I mounted it to the center stack with velcro, my previous GPS was also mount with velcro since last year and I had no trouble removing the old velcro without any residue on the dash. The dvd player is cheap walmart portable that I took the screen off and i mount it to the passenger side of the center console. Loading disc is very easy and the remote work in any direction while i drive.

Tomorrow I'll be hiding the cables behind the dash and trough the vent for a cleaner look, but overall it already look quite good. The gps is only a 1/4 inch thick and almost look factory, pictures make it look thicker than real life. It's only half as thick as the volume knob.

video coming soon (slow youtube upload day)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Not bad at all. Yeah you won't find a piano black duh kit. But i like Wht you did

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here's the video ;

·
Registered
781 Posts
That's an interesting way to do it. Unfortunately, it blocks those vents and boy do I need all the vents I can get in the summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts