Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

First post on this newly found forum. Great place for info!

So my 78-year-old mom has a 2003 Escape 3.0L V6 with 85,000 miles. She is the second owner. First owner was a little old lady friend of her dad. So this vehicle has literally been owned by little old ladies. It's rarely been in a city, mostly highway driving. Regular maintenance. She drives it maybe 2,000 miles a year now.

So my question: the service manual calls for timing chain replacement at 120,000. I know that's far off, but I had a timing belt break on a previous car (old Nissan) and destroyed my engine so I'm a little nervous about this stuff.

Should I get this service done as preventive maintenance at about 100,000 (always try to be ahead of service manuals)? I've heard this is a non-interference engine so if chain does go it won't obliterate the engine. Is this true?

Any other maintenance I should watch out for? I keep up with service manual stuff pretty well, but always like to hear from those with real world experience about what to watch out for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Timing chain is a "for life of the vehicle/engine" item, there is no scheduled maintenance on it. The timing/cam belt in the I4 is at 120k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

First post on this newly found forum. Great place for info!

So my 78-year-old mom has a 2003 Escape 3.0L V6 with 85,000 miles. She is the second owner. First owner was a little old lady friend of her dad. So this vehicle has literally been owned by little old ladies. It's rarely been in a city, mostly highway driving. Regular maintenance. She drives it maybe 2,000 miles a year now.

So my question: the service manual calls for timing chain replacement at 120,000. I know that's far off, but I had a timing belt break on a previous car (old Nissan) and destroyed my engine so I'm a little nervous about this stuff.

Should I get this service done as preventive maintenance at about 100,000 (always try to be ahead of service manuals)? I've heard this is a non-interference engine so if chain does go it won't obliterate the engine. Is this true?

Any other maintenance I should watch out for? I keep up with service manual stuff pretty well, but always like to hear from those with real world experience about what to watch out for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Mike
If your mom ever wants to sell that to the next little old lady message me! My 2003 Escape has double those miles and I'd love to get another one. Best car I've ever had.

Joanne

·
Registered
135 Posts
As Bangster mentioned the timing chain is "for life of engine unless something else goes wrong" , if anything and since you mention that its always had regular maintenance ask if it has ever had the auto trans fluid completely changed , and also ask if the PTU oil has been changed also and rear diff , they would be the only things i'd be doing after all those years .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts