Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this a few weeks ago and have already put over 300 km on it.

It started out in June when I found this in the backyard of a family friend. It had been sitting there for near 15 years.

A 1985 SuperCycle Commuter Six. A low-end bike when it was new, but I'm a sucker for rescues, and it has the handle geometry I like as well as the old super-springy saddle.

Pretty rusty. The chain was still workable as long as I kept the old freewheel, but those were both upgraded. The first time I tried to put air in the old (original) tires, I got to 40 PSI and the sidewalls literally blew off across the room. The brake pads were out of adjustment but still usable. WD-40 down the seat tube, cleaned and greased the hub and stem bearings. I used a wet, balled-up sheet of aluminium foil to get most of the rust off the handlebars.

Finished result!

I still have a few additions to add once the cost of the pedelec kit is paid off. It's a BionX kit that will assist you in pedalling, which has gotten me out on the bike a whole lot more since I can actually make it up our steep hills (these are hills where, going down, I have to be hard on the brakes or else I would be doing about 70 km/h at the bottom). The kit consists mainly of a battery pack, seen at the top of the rack (with the integrated taillight) and a 350-watt hub motor.

The dashboard shows me my current speed and allows me to switch between four assist levels as well as four regenerative levels if I want an extra workout. Those regen levels will charge the battery back up, and the rear brake will automatically activate regen level 4.

Can't be without my BlackBerry!

After my mishap with the original tires, I upgraded to some Schwalbe (or as my bike shop calls them, Schwabble) tires designed for e-bikes. So far they ride great on the road and can handle gravel trails as well. The sidewalls have a neat feature of being reflective. That white stripe will light up when headlights hit it at night.

For my commute, I added two Arkel B-40 pannier bags. The left side bag is where I keep my documents and acts like a backpack or briefcase that I bring into work. The right side bag is locked to the rack with the zippers locked as well, and stays on the bike unless I am leaving it in a questionable area for an extended period of time.

The bags are very roomy with plenty of room for documents, tools, and a water bottle.

Yesterday I brought home a glass chandelier...about 70 pounds worth. Notice the super-beefy lock...it weighs about 15 pounds itself!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Holy moly batman...You got that rigged to the gills..If ya don't have one,get a shock seat post,it is awesome,saves your tailbone big time,and with a gell seat with the tailbone hole in it works well too..

It reminds me of my mountain bike i sold last year,i had everything on that too,lights,computer,rack,bags,etc.......

Ya need a bottle holder on the frame,much easier to reach...All ya nned now is some tassles hanging off the handle bars and one of those squeeze horns.. :lol:

Glad to see ya out on 2 wheels..don't forget to add a mini cam to take some video,or will your blackberry do that...Be cool to watch your ride up those steeps hills,and then going down them. :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My old bike had one of those squeeze horns...WHEE-OOO...kept me legal and made would-be thieves think the bike was worthless. :lol:

I'm not a fan of gel seats, I like the old seats like the one I have now, where you sit on a cushion suspended on a network of springs. The mounts for my forward lights are still on my old bike, a full-suspension MTB. I also plan to add a bell and an air horn to this bike. I already have my BlackBerry recording my rides, and I've been playing with mounts and harnesses. Currently I'm using a modified chest mount which places the camera a few inches above my belly button - less sway while pedalling and it allows my chest to expand. I normally stop when drinking so the bag holder works perfectly - I use the same bottle to drink from at work so it comes in with me.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Pretty sweet, CP!! :thumb: :thumb:

jbone2470 said:
.All ya nned now is some tassles hanging off the handle bars and one of those squeeze horns.. :lol:
I was thinking the same thing!! :lol:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,599 Posts
Don't forget the baseball cards in the spokes!!! :yes:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Nice going!

In your Fuelly numbers for the bike... is that "natural" gas you're using? :lol:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Natural gas.. :hyst: everytime he passes gas it propels him so he doesn't have to pedal.. :D I remember the baseball card in spokes, how cool were we back then..

or instead of stopping with the brakes,(cause i didn't have any but front brakes) i put my foot behind the back and stick my foot inbetween the tire and frame to stop..

I once was trying to be cool on my new freestyle bmx by doing a frame stand no hands down a hill and wiped out,ripping my finger nail right off totally..Ouch..

I also want to see a pic of you all padded up,helmet,knee elbow pads,gloves,and eye goggles.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
futameca said:
Nice going!

In your Fuelly numbers for the bike... is that "natural" gas you're using? :lol:
:lol: That's the equivalent MPG figuring in cost of gas and cost to recharge the bike ($0.08 per charge, $1.20 per litre of gas. Each charge gets me around 50 km with assist, though I could just keep going without assist and walk up the big hills.)

jbone2470 said:
I also want to see a pic of you all padded up,helmet,knee elbow pads,gloves,and eye goggles.. :)
I do have a set of these for winter riding...elbow/arm armour is coming soon.

Also some armoured gloves. :D

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
LOL i just noticed in your sig, the goggles, they do nothing..Was that there b4? Or did u add it after my response to the pads and goggles... How ironic

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
That's been there a while jbone...

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah that's been there for a while, since I changed my avatar to one in my subway asbestos "battle dress".

Here's a picture of my bike loaded with a glass chandelier - frame in one bag and glass in another.

I also did a more in-depth calculation of my equivalent MPG numbers. 100 km requires two charges, each charge using almost exactly 0.5 kWh. At $0.10/kWh and $1.20 c/L of gas, that means I use the equivalent of 0.08 L/100 km, or 2822 MPG! :yahoo:

And if I get a timer to charge the bike after 7 PM, the rate drops to $0.065/kWh, making it 0.05 L/100 km or 4342 MPG. But for the difference in pennies, the cost of a timer isn't worth it.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
:? must be the meds...too much math for my head to handle right now.. :cuss:

Like the keys,do they open up the lock on your bag... :calvin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts