Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this in mind a log time, but now starting to price things to fix up this 1966 Ford Bronco, it was bought new by my Uncle and been in the family ever since. It is the first vehicle I drove.

I'm hoping to try to keep an original look, but still make a fun off road vehicle out of it. It has a long way to go, and I'm short on tools and experience, but maybe someday I'll get this fixed up like I want it.

Right now all it needs to move around itself is wheels/ tires that hold air, brake lines, and a seat. It is in working order other than that, but isn't in good shape, a lot of things need to be reconditioned or replaced even if they do work.

Ultimate goal is to have larger wheels and tires, lifted maybe 3", bucket seats, and some off road modifications. Of course it's got to have a brush rack! :yes:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
These little trucks look great when properly restored. Lots of fun to drive and show off too!
Good Luck with your project, be sure to post pics as you go. :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
The early broncos were a lot of fun but they can get pricey to redo, have some fun with it. :thumb:

If you need parts these guys have lots of stuff, I bought suspension repair parts for my 95 Ford pickup from them and they were actual factory parts. link

·
Registered
700 Posts
Oh boy I can see this thing restored already! I'd love to do a project like this in the future. Do some body work, paint it Ford Blue, chrome grill, 6"-8" suspension lift, 38" Swampers with 16" American Racing chrome wheels, and you got a cherry Bronco. Good luck and POST PICTURES along the way!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'll need the encouragement I'm sure. So far all I've done is some cleaning, it had been sitting a while and had leaves and junk on it, got all that off and most of the interior cleaned out. I'm still trying to get the seat out, I hate to cut on stuff but I'm going to have to hack something off to get it out, just haven't figured out what to cut first. I need to buy me a set of jack stands so I can get under it easier.

Next I think I'll try to clean the Engine, it's all covered in gunk. I've got some degreaser but I need to scrape most of it off before that will do me much good. I don't have a garage, so I'm going to try to do stuff I can without removing the body until I figure out where I'm going to work on it. I should be able to get the engine running nicely without needing to take much off.

ISU01XCapeXLT said:
....paint it Ford Blue....16" American Racing chrome wheels...
As for color that was where I was leaning, it was originally a light green, my Dad painted it Blue and that is the color I always rememmber it being, Blue with a white top. I'm thinking I may stick with the blue/white combo, and of course some chrome. I've also thought of Black since I've seen some sweet black Broncos online, but then again there haven't been many Broncos I didn't think looked great no matter the color.

On those rims, already priced a set of 16" American Racing chrome, been finding them for about $100 a piece shipped on E-Bay and if you tell them they send you a set with 2 without caps so the hub lockers will fit through. Wheels/ tires may be one of the last things I buy though, I've yet to figure out how much I want to lift it, if I'm going to mess with the gear ratio any, and what I'm going to do with the rear fenders (Original wheel wells are too small, and I hate to cut them cause I gather those are somewhat rare to find stock.) so once all that is settled than I can figure out my ratios for the wheel size and if they will fit.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I'm green with jealousy! :)

A guy across the street just moved in and has one very similar, not sure if it is a 66 or not. Looks like a ton of fun. I'll try and get a pic soon... some inspiration for ya. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
futameca said:
A guy across the street just moved in and has one very similar... I'll try and get a pic soon... some inspiration for ya. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
futameca said:
Thanks! I like that color on them, looks like a safari truck.

Haven't been able to do anything to the Bronco lately, darn if I'm not going somewhere on my days off or if I am going to be home it starts raining. :lightning:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't really realize this, but have in the past made suggestions that the Escape is the modern day Bronco, and I had heard others say it as well. Apparently there was more to that than I realized. The Wiki for Bronco has Escape written all over it, and even the concept of a 2004 Bronco was to be built on an Escape frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Bronco

·
Registered
781 Posts
Can't wait to see some pictures of the work. One of these days when I'm in a little more stable life-wise, I want to fix up an early Bronco or a Scout, for offroading.

I don't remember seeing that 04 Bronco concept, but it looks real nice. That grill looks similar to the grill on the new Ford Raptors

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't seem like much, but now I have it on jack stands and in a flat spot next to the storage building where I can attempt to work on it. Been trying to clean it mostly so I can see what is going on.

I think I know what I need to do first, and seems like all the hard to do or extensive (read expensive) projects need to be first.

Got a pic of it next to the Escape for comparison. Thanks for all the cheering on, I'm going to need it! :wacko:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

No cosmetic changes other that I took the seat out, bare floor inside now. I have all new brakes and related components on the rear, painted the hubs black. (rustoleum)

Today I took apart the carburetor and replaced several things in there, new diafram, needle valve components, cleaned and lubed things.

One front hub is off, all the locker components and gears and guts all the way to the steering knuckle is off. I found that you can remove the front hub without taking all the other stuff out, but it basically wouldn't come off unless you do take it all apart due to corrosion, so I'm replacing things in there while I'm at it. Once I figure out how to get that steering knuckle off I'm replacing the U-joints, and possibly the steering bearings in there if it needs them. Hopefully I'll learn enough the other side won't be so bad. :doh:

I got a pile of new parts going on. Right now I have all new brake components for the front still to put on. Wheel bearings, and new U-joints I mentioned. I also have a new master cylinder ready to go on.

Once all that is on, I need hard lines for the brakes, the rubber line sections, and then to get them filled with fluid and bled. Once that is done Wheels/Tires, a seat, get the engine running a little smoother, several unexpected things, and I should be road worthy. It will need more work over time, but at that point it will be usable as a vehicle and no longer a yard ornament. The nice part is it is still a licensed and insured vehicle, so no hassles there, it's got all it's papers already and always has had them.

For tires I'm thinking 30" or 31" X 9.5" X 15" rims. I got issues to contend with on size, mainly the tight space under the stock rear fenders, which I have learned are increasingly rare, so I'm reluctant to go hacking on them until I know more about if they are even worth saving. Looking to be around $800+ for a complete set of wheels and tires, so I'm not getting into that just yet. It would be nice to have it to where I can take it for a spin once I put them on at least. :play:

More info and pics to come when I get things finished....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Have you checked out the Bronco Graveyard and Tom's Bronco Parts.
Between the two shops you can get pretty much any part you need. Both guys are great to talk with and one of them is close to me if you ever need something looked at before you purchase it..
I've done a lot of research on the Bronco since it's my ultimate dream ride :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
Also for the new U-Joints I highly recommend you look at Carl Jantz4X4.com he has made the ultimate U-Joints!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Phil, I'm now a patron of the Bronco Graveyard, I bought a complete stainless steel brake line kit, 5 wheel studs, and some brake line clips from them. Crazy fast shipping from them. :thumb: (Paid for it though, kind of high but I did have a large box.)

I have pics! :pics:

First Here is the completed passenger side wheel area. Work done here was a new oil seal, new U-Joint, new wheel bearings, all new braking components, and I painted and cleaned up all the large metal parts, and new wheel studs.

Drum Off

Drum On

I'm currently working on doing the same to the other side:

I've also decided to give it a cheap paint job to make it look presentable. I don't plan on doing any body work soon, and I'll be wanting to wheel it anyway, so just something to make it all one color and not look so neglected and sad. I found Rustoleum in Hunter Green and thought it would look nice. When body work is done for real I think I'll be going with a rich Ford Blue, but in the meantime I think it turned out pretty good for what it is.

I did a quarter panel just to see if it was going to work out well, I'm pleased so far:

Doing one thing at a time, I'm enjoying it so far which was my whole plan. I think I got the best truck out there as far as never ending tinkering goes, these Bronco's are never finished. :lol:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
OHHHHHHHHHHHH, so jealous!
that green looks great by the way. To fix the rust, get a peanut grinder, cut the rust out, spray with zinc and rivet on some stainless #2 patches. That way the rust won't spread. Or you can just cut the rust out and spray with zinc galvie coat.

Bronco graveyard is cool, i'm hoping they will find my frame in my price range.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

The Brakes are finished, maybe some minor adjusting once I have it on the road, but it has all new braking system from the Master cylinder, all new Stainless hard lines, new flex lines, new cylinders, spring kits, and finally shoes.

A couple more panels are green now, the whole front end is, minus the grille, which is a little more tricky.

I got it it's own battery (no sharing the tractor battery now) and put in new connectors and battery cables.

Engine is running smoother now, my Uncle helped me tune up the carburetor and found the brand new needle valve was sticking.

Right now I have the rear drive shaft off, replacing a U-joint on it. The brake lights are not working so I have a wiring issue to sort out somewhere. I need to install seats and seat belts, and get it on some new tires that hold air, and I think it will then be ready to hit the road before I start in on other improvements.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts