Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
600 Posts
I just bought a used 2010 Ford Escape a month ago and have been leaking a substantial amount of oil the last two weeks. This is my first car and I know almost nothing about them, but am learning!

I took it to a mechanic who told me I had four leaks: valve cover, timing cover, and oil pan (and a transmission leak that they don't do at that shop). The repair costs are almost $1700. I'm taking it for a second opinion today, but am curious if anyone else had this problem or if you can tell from my horrible photo if that estimate is reasonable. Any advice would help thank you!
Welcome to the city, mags

I would strongly recommend going to more than one shop for estimates/diagnosis. Look at some reviews for shops around you, and which ones have treated 'everyone' fairly.

But first I would inquire where you purchased the car one month ago, and see if you can't go back to them for some resolution.

I hate to say this, but a lot of people will treat the elderly/women differently when you walk into a shop. If you have a brother, dad, uncle, friend that could go with you to the mechanic… I would suggest that.
you said it was major oil leak, and you are obviously willing to crawl under the car… Put a piece of cardboard underneath it so you can see where exactly the puddle is beginning, then you know where to look up at from underneath and try to trace where the major leak actually is.
I strongly recommend some sort of glasses to protect your eyes when underneath a car. Allow the car to cool down for several hours before you touch anything.

you are already ahead of the game, you found the city(us), and the only dumb question is the one not asked. ( :

I would strongly recommend joining something like AAA. it's not expensive, and you will never be stranded as long as you have cell service.

Rereading this, sorry to go dad on you... lol

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
600 Posts
haha love the tarantino reference! thank you for the info, it's really helpful! This was the amount of oil leaking overnight. Not sure why it's in a few places and seems like a lot to me, but am not sure.
Well Mags, You got friends here in the city! ( :

OK, looking at your oil stain it seems like the front one with the big circle is the main problem. You are correct, you are losing a fair amount of oil.(The next thing to do is slide the cardboard back underneath with white paper over the drip spots, so you can tell what color the fluids are)
I believe the other drips are just blowing back from that point as you drive. Checking your oil regularly, and not letting it go dry will keep it alive until you can repair it. you are on it my friend ( :
I will advise against using any 'stop leak' products.

your oil level is fine so long it is between the two hashmarks on the bottom of the stick. You can keep track of what it wants, so you know that you are adding 1 quart a week, or 1 quart a month. Try not to overfill, it is usually 1 quart between the two hashmarks

google search for 'repair shops near me', then look at the reviews… See which ones have good reviews from women too.
I think you are doing good, keep asking questions.
If you decide to dig into the project, make sure you are wearing surgical/mechanic gloves.
There are a lot of toxins in automotive products.

AAA would also give you recommendations for repair shops that are reputable. If you let us know your general location, someone may know a good mechanic to suggest.(I know a great one in Denver)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts